refrigerator compressor clunk on shutoff

My 14 year old GE fridge is still working fine... except that half of the time when the compressor cycles off it makes a horrific clunk/bang kind of sound. The other half of the time it shuts off quietly. It starts and runs quietly all the time and the fridge works fine otherwise. The clunk sounds like if you pick up a compressor and jiggle it and it bangs on the housing, but much louder, I guess, since the internals are moving pretty fast. Is this a sign of imminent failure?

How is the compressor mounted? Are the mounting bushings possibly shot? Also, check the condenser fan motor for obstruction (tie wrap, loose wire, etc. hitting fan blade on shutdown) OR sometimes when the CFM is excessively worn, the shaft will "float" excessively (in and out) on shutdown. I run across these kinds of "failures" alot. Last possibility is a broken spring internally within the compressor....could make that racket forever or just for a few more cycles..who knows. Best of luck, Kevin.

Thanks for the input, Kevin. I'll check out the things you suggested... at least the ones I can, when I get a chance. If nothing pans out I guess I'll just let it RTF and then have a BBQ and followed by a trip to the store for a new fridge.

As far as I can tell, the rubber mounting bushings are probably worn inside. I've known them to run for many years like this and not fail. Don't stock up for the BBQ yet!

How's the head pressure?

Any chance the condenser is dirty?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Well, it's been a couple years since I cleaned everything but no way this is a dirt issue. We're talking about a serious mechanical clunk, the kind that gives me a start when I am upstairs in bed. But the fact that it is intermmitent is interesting. From the input I have received so far it sounds like a broken mounting spring or bad rubber mounting bushing is the most likely culprit. Perhaps it just depends on where in the rotation the compressor is when it goes to shutdown and that determines which springs or bushings dampen the shutdown torque. And when it loads the broken piece I get the clunk. I wish the darned thing would just fail so I could justify getting one of the newer models with freezer on bottom. That would make it much easier on my poor old bad back getting into the main compartment....

Newer models??

My 1961 Frigidere has a bottom mount freezer. Still runs fine in the garage. Wife wanted a newer side by side. Your right about having the freezer on the bottom much more convenient to get to things in the fridg.

Ever cut open a tin can? The pump normally hangs inside the shell on springs, the clunking is when one or more springs gives enough for the pump to vibrate when it is slowing down causing it to bang on the inside of the shell. They can run like that for years, or crap out in days, no way to predict. I call it the death rattle, cause you know it's dying
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Do you have a shed outside the house Raylo?
    move the fridge there, fill it with beer and perhaps mixers and spring for a new one for the kitchen.
    Problem solved.

Slatts. Only here to help
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002