Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So later today I'm meeting with a Trane dealer who would use honeywell for zoning.

But I've been thinking about the Carrier system the past hour or so...

The local Carrier dealer wanted to put dampers on the plenum; one right north of the furnace and one south and one to the HT. However, the other guy wanted to do dampers on the indivdual ducts/registers coming off the plenum. Why can't carrier do this? From what I read on here, the Carrier Inifity is the cat's meow. I think I can pretty easily access all but about three of the ducts coming off the plenum.

You'll want to make sure you have future access to all of the dampers, just in case... I don't see why the brand of zone control would make a difference as far as where you can locate them.

The more dampers you have. The more it cost.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
    I've thought about that as well. But the existing furnace is 60% efficient and the fan sounds like the undercarriage of a caterpillar. I don't really want the sound of a construction site in the room adjacent to my HT.
    Not following you, the fan coils are very quiet, the inverter will actually repsond and match the load of the home theatre, you will not have good results zoning an air system on an old furnace or with a new furnace.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    Not following you, the fan coils are very quiet, the inverter will actually repsond and match the load of the home theatre, you will not have good results zoning an air system on an old furnace or with a new furnace.
    It was my way of saying that the existing fan in the furnace is VERY noisy; like a bad bearing.

I met with the Trane dealer a bit ago. For some reason, I didn't feel all that impressed. Scary considering they are doing my brothers system. At anyrate, he thought the only way to zone everything was to start ripping out the ceiling. Basically said air driven dampers don't work. Funny, considering many folks on here seem to think the Arzel products are pretty good products.

They work fine.
    He just doesn't want to admit it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
    It was my way of saying that the existing fan in the furnace is VERY noisy; like a bad bearing.
    okay change the furnace and put in your independent HT system while you are at it
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

So I got the proposal from the Trane dealer, but it really tells me nothing...so hopefully you pros can help....

Trane TUH2D120A9V5VA 120,000 95% Furnace
    Trane 4TWX5048A1000A 4 Ton/15 SEER
    Trane 4TXCD064BC3HCA Cased Coil

It doesn't say from what series any of these are, whether they communicate, variable speed...nada. Just says go to Trane.com for more info.

The proposal tells you to go online for more info?

The furnace is an XV95 - two stage, variable speed blower (95.6% AFUE - qualifies for tax credit). The heat pump is the XL15i - net 13.5 SEER/8.5 HSPF with that matchup.

Well, after much soul searching I decided to go with the Coleman option, mainly because of the contractor. He makes me feel quite comfortable and he ins't affraid to do Arzel dampers for zoning. I also like the modulating furnace.

It only took a month of reading posts in here...what an ordeal! And to think it isn't over. There are still some questions about the zoning stuff, but the contractor is selected and the furnace are going in.

I think you'll be happy with the Arzel system... FYI, in my own home theater project I've decided to use a stand alone fan to move air from the rest of the basement space (2000 sq ft conditioned) into the theater (255 sq ft) and then a passive "return" back out of the room. I'm going to use flex duct on both with two "silencer" baffles to keep the sound from traveling out of the room via the vents. This was my primary reason for not tying directly into the rest of the HVAC system.

My two cents. I have a ton of customers that have home theaters & I'm just on the other side of the mountains from you.

Install a properly sized seperate heating/cooling system with introduction of fresh air.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast