Post Likes

file editor for editing .dist files?

What is a suitable file/text editor that can be used to extract, edit, and then reuse a Tridium distribution (.dist) file's XML data?

I can get to the XML file's data no problem by changing the dist to a zip, but getting it back into the distribution file manager as a "valid" file is a no go when you reverse the process.

TIA

Post Likes
    What you're trying to do in decompiling, editing, and recompiling a .dist file likely isn't possible unless you're a Tridium developer. I would imagine the dist file manager expects a valid checksum when it looks at file you've tried to reinsert - and that only a Tridium-specific compiler can generate that valid checksum.

What happens if you rename from .dist to .zip, then back to .dist without editing anything in the file contents?

Does the File Manager accept it then?

Post Likes
    What happens if you rename from .dist to .zip, then back to .dist without editing anything in the file contents?

Does the File Manager accept it then?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried that... Is a .dist file not just a compressed file that originated from a MacOS?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    Is a .dist file not just a compressed file that originated from a MacOS?
    As I understand it, no. In Tridium world, a .dist file is a Tridium-generated image of larger chunk of the OS and/or station. I suspect that something in Niagara recognizes that a .dist file wasn't generated or last edited by Niagara, and thus won't recognize it.

Post Likes
    That makes sense... I tried to edit the XML with the built in Tridium editor, but .dist files doesn't appear to allow write access...which also makes sense.

I'm basically attempting to remove some hardware exclusions for a particular brand's software distribution.

Post Likes
    That's typically in the license file and it is crypto signed. That will hose the signature and end up being rejected.

I looked at the dist file and didn't spot a checksum anywhere. It could be anywhere if there is one though.