Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GREEN SLIME CONCERNS

Once you encounter what you think is green slime is there any test to positively id? If green slime what do you do with guages/recovery/etc that has been in contact with green slime? Is green slime "only" encountered with scroll compressor systems?

There have been many discussions about it on this board.

You can do a search on green slime.

Here are just a few hits when you do that search.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Green slime is only found in certain older scroll compressors. It is almost a tar like substance. More likely, you'll find what I call "green acid". It can be found in any system, and is the same consistency as oil. It is caused by excessive moisture in the system turning the oil acidic. The acid eats the copper and turns the oil green.

I have run into it twice and both times flushed my gauges out with alcohol. In both systems it was caused by catastrophic leaks in the suction line that caused moisture to be sucked in. Since the systems had already lost all their charge, I didn't have to deal with it in my recovery machine. If a system did somehow have a charge in it, I think its best that it somehow develops a mysterious leak before you get a chance to hook up the recovery machine.

Anything the green acid touches is ruined by the smell; clothes, shoes, etc all go straight to the trash. tools can be washed in alcohol. Wear disposable gloves, if you get it on your hands, they will smell for days

I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Check out this site under the HVACR Resources heading. You'll find information on green slime and a link to Copelands AE bulletin on this subject.

www.hvacrinfo.com

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Green slime is only found in certain older scroll compressors. It is almost a tar like substance. More likely, you'll find what I call "green acid". It can be found in any system, and is the same consistency as oil. It is caused by excessive moisture in the system turning the oil acidic. The acid eats the copper and turns the oil green.

I have run into it twice and both times flushed my gauges out with alcohol. In both systems it was caused by catastrophic leaks in the suction line that caused moisture to be sucked in. Since the systems had already lost all their charge, I didn't have to deal with it in my recovery machine. If a system did somehow have a charge in it, I think its best that it somehow develops a mysterious leak before you get a chance to hook up the recovery machine.

Anything the green acid touches is ruined by the smell; clothes, shoes, etc all go straight to the trash. tools can be washed in alcohol. Wear disposable gloves, if you get it on your hands, they will smell for days
    So that was what that crap was. I ran across a water to air h/p about three or four years ago. It was at a prison up in the attic. I found three leaks in the evap coil and three more in a horizontal liquid line. With an evil smelling green oil coming out. the copper was eaten from the inside out. Got some on my brass manifold turned all kinds of weird colors. I told the maintenance man to just scrap the unit. Compressor was shorted out anyway. I had never seen a system with acid that bad. I would not warranty a compressor on that unit.

Talked to him about six months later while changeing out another compressor. He said they replaced the unit and tore the old one down for spare parts. That Green oil was all through the system and the water coil had several small holes in the freon jacket to the water jacket. That must have been where the water came from since the compressor failed in the winter.

cannot access 2. & 3. I'm new to this site, do I need to do something else to gain entrance?

Ooops. Those are in pro tech forum.

You have to be a pro member to access those areas.

Get your post count up to 15, and apply.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

thanks,

hhmmm I didnt know green slime and green oil were 2 differnt things. I just thought it was 2 different stages. I hate that stuff.... have seen it like 5 times now. Is the green slime darker in color? That stinks the worst!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Lite in color and unless someone knows of a possitive test how does any of know for sure, could be dye, moisture and copper turns green? Thats why I was asking does anyone know of a sure test and once it is proven green slime how do you or are you able to clean up guages/recovery equ/etc?

Ain't it purty?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GLH729 View Post
    Lite in color and unless someone knows of a possitive test how does any of know for sure, could be dye, moisture and copper turns green?
    Dye is a bright fluorescent color green. Slime and acidic oil are a deeper green and smell horrible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast