Heat Pump over A/C only to get IRS credit?

I am about to replace a 5 ton Rheem 14 SEER A/C system. You are aware the difficulty in getting the IRS credit with a 5 ton unit due to the EER requirement. If I went with a heat pump system, I would qualify for the tax credit bringing overall cost below the A/C. In south Florida, only use heat a couple of days per year. Will I suffer with cooling power by going with a heat pump? Is it worth going with a heat pump just to get the credit. System recommended was Amana ASZ14 56.5k BTU cooling, 15 SEER/12.5 EER. Or going with a conventional A/C option for about $ more- either Rheem RARL 58.0k BTU, 15.8 SEER/12.2 EER or Trane XR14 58.0k BTU, 14.5 SEER/12.0 EER. I am a little worried about losing 1,500 BTUs with the heat pump option as I have about 2600 sq. ft. under air. Should I be concerned? Thanks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-04-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Removed price

Talking

I'd recommend getting a Manual J heat gain done along with a loss figure before deciding on size. I assume the 14 SEER unit has bit the dust? Just remember the heat pump will be used more than the AC, and the extra use will affect the life of the unit (or could effect it anyway!).

Thanks for your input. It has bit the dust. The Rheem 14 SEER is about 13 years old, and the coils are shot. Will the really be used more even if I only need heating a few times per year in Miami? I was led to believe that the cooling process is exactly the same, and the only difference with the heat pump will be in heating mode. As for size, I was advised by 2 professionals that a 5 ton for cooling is a must for me, and any level of heating power will suffice. Any opinion on which of the 3 options to go with?