Tstat Recommendation for...

Trane XL16c. I am about to pull the trigger on this or the AS equivilant but am still confused on Tstat. This is a hybrid unit with 4 stage heat and 2 stage cooling. My confusion comes in where one vendor recommends an 800 series tstat which can range from 1 stage to 3 stage control where as another recommends the 900 series which has 4 stage control. NOTE: both of these are AS/Trane products. My question is what is the proper/best Tstat to use with this unit?
    Thanx,
    Roy

Good question Roy. I had to do a bit of research and am still not 100% on my answer. Hopefully we'll get some more hits to help you out. First of all, if I am correct, your four stages of heat come from 2 stages heat pump (which are rare in my area of MT) and 2 stages furnace. I looked up the 16 seer package unit (4DCZ6) for american standard and they list the 802 and 803 stats as the requirement. Here is my theory: the two stage stat is sufficent because the unit transfers between two, 2-stage heat sources, not one four stage source, if that makes sense. Therefore, the stat is only directing one heat source at a time, which only requires two stage controls. I could be way off on this, as I have not installed this unit before. You certainly could use the 900 series i would guess, but I believe it is more for the new communicating systems with 3 stage furnace heat and could be teamed up with 2-stage heat pumps, thus controlling a 2-stage unit, then transitioning to a 3 stage unit (for a grand total of 5 stages). I wouldn't sweat it too much, as I dont see anything wrong with either choice. Perhaps we will get some additional feedback from other AS/Trane guys with more experience with this.

By the way, I am a fan of the stat controlling all stages of heat, so if the 900 controls all four stages seperately, i would go for it over the 800s. Hopefully didn't confuse you.

What furnace are you considering. the XL900 thermostst is a communicating thermostat so you MUST use a XC80 or XC95. The XV80 and XV95 furances are not communicating abnd you CANNOT use the XL900 with those furnaces. I would recommend using communicating he the XL16i, because otherwise, you can't take advantage of reducing fan speed to dehumidify. You are stuck wht Comfort R and/or reducing airflow to 350CFM/ton for more latent capacity at the cost of some efficiency.

I know... I have a XV80 and XL16i. The XC80 wasn't avalabe until 3 weeks after i did my install.

Don't get the XL800. It's the same as a Visionpro 8000 series. You're better off with the VisionPro IAQ. That's what I installed. Controls all 4 stages, and lots, lots more.

The other advantage of the XC95, is its' a 3 stage furnace... so like mentioned above, you get 5 stages of heat. Well, really, the heat pump in hight stage depending on your balance point may overlap the low stage capacity on the furnace.

So I strongly suggest getting the XC95 or XC80 with the XL16i and the XL900 communicating thermostat... otherwise forget the XL16i and get a XL15i or XR14 (if you don't care about 2 dB difference in noise levels) with the Visionpro IAQ. The XL16i IMO is somewhat limited in it's capability without the communicating system.

Thanx...

Quig,
    Thanx for the information and your thoughts on the stat providing full control of the heat.

Moto,
    Thanx for your thoughts, but the unit(s) I am looking at are dual fuel package units.

Roy