Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerros View Post
    I'm not trying to badmouth consumer reports by any means. ...

That said they didn't do a real good job on the HVAC issue. ...".
    Was referring to other posts. As I recall the article was really about window units, right? CR just kind of threw in a few comments about central units. Wish they would address whole house conditioning situations, at least on a high level features and gotchas.

CR rates central heating and cooling equipment.

And is so far off. That it just about makes a joke of the ratngs.

I've known several people that based the majority of what appliances they bought on CR.

They weren't any better off, then if they had just shopped around on their own. As far as longevity, and service problems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They weren't any better off, then if they had just shopped around on their own. As far as longevity, and service problems.
    Beg to differ. Many people know nothing of the pertinent features and downsides to sophisticated products. In addition, many products mask comparisons by renaming models and tweaking features to make basically the same product from different sellers look different. I have always viewed CR as a resource to cut through the marketing BS and to explain important features.

Looked at the article again. Whereas, it mentions central air, most is about doing Manual J and D measurements first. Don't know why all are so upset (other than most people don't read the fine print) because almost all units in the rating are within the statistically "less than 5 points" meaningless range.

As I alluded to before the article was very incomplete on central air. The major emphasis by content and ratings IS on window AC's. Unfortunate that CR threw in the reliability of central AC units then rated window AC units. The editor needs a severe tongue lashing. If they looked at central AC (and heat pumps) they would have needed a much, much bigger article to address the features and complexities. Taking a window AC out of the box and putting it in the window at a cost a few hundred dollars is no where like dealing with modifications to the home and dealing with service contractors in addition to getting it all down to apples-to-apples.

They are not being responsible.

When a organization like them List an order of equipment. Many people will ASSUME the equipment first on the list is the best.

Since the equipment is within the 5 percent meaningless.

They list it alphabetically. And have a easily readable note stating that its in alpabetical order only.

They know that. But don't do it.
    Contractor locator map

No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They are not being responsible.

When a organization like them List an order of equipment. Many people will ASSUME the equipment first on the list is the best.

Since the equipment is within the 5 percent meaningless.

They list it alphabetically. And have a easily readable note stating that its in alpabetical order only.

They know that. But don't do it.
    you know my question wasnt really about CR because we all know they're not in our field they just do test etc... am just asking is the quality,the installation,the service,the over all is it better than the giant trane ,carrier,lennox,units did rheem/ruud just surpass the rest while the others stayed in the sand box arguing
    Mastic its whats for dinner!

Its all in the contractor you choose.
    Contractor locator map

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    I think it's clear that 5% or less ,there's no difference,maybe someone missed that!

Twilli says certainly Dash if Carrier had been at the top of the list please tell Twilli you wouldn't use this as a marketing tool? Rheem has consistantly been at the top of the list.

Does it mean anything. Twilli says no, especailly if your brand isn't at the top. Please rest assured that Twilli's reading skill as well as comprehension skills are still fairly keen.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    This is how he got to be part of the membership committee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMKnW3GYG0
    more like this on my end...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLCY43zXOw
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

I'm not a dealer for any specific brand. When a customer asks me what the best unit is I tell them they're all kinda the same.
    I think I'm being honest when I say that.
    The compressors are the same, the electrical parts are the same and the copper tubing is the same.
    Any of the different brands have the potential to be trouble free for years or be a lemon.
    So many factors come into play. Could be bad installation or poor maintenance.
    On the manufacturing side they might get a bad batch of contactors or capacitors. Maybe you got a unit that was made on a Friday or a Monday or by an employee who knew he was getting fired.
    OK maybe that last one was a stretch but you get my point.

I too read CR but I do not and never have agreed with the way they rate central a/c systems. I would be willing to bet by the crap we have seen on the WOS that the hugh majority of a/c systems that CR bases their info on were improperly installed.
    I have seen alot of split sytems here in vegas, especially large housing tracts, that seem to have a short life span. I hear many people complain about them losing their charge every year.
    Package units are sealed at the factory and more often tend to take alittle less installation abuse. I know that split systems outnumber package units in homes, so they really dont get a fair shot with the CR ratings.
    CR should really set up a complete onsite line of splits (properly installed) and a complete onsite line of package units (properly insalled) and then give us some true ratings that we can really go on.

Ruud is # 1 because I sell it and sell to top notch dealers only. Twilli knows truths
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast