Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good point timebuilder, and those server rooms too!
    It seems to me the job market is open in HVAC. The ads in the metro papers always seem to have 5 or 6 running for techs.
    The local community college has curtailed it's HVAC/Refrigeration programs because of low attendance and budget slump. It's almost as though fewer young people are interested in trades than years ago; so turnover in the next 5 to 10 years could be an issue.

i am 27 and just starting tech school. Have been in flooring industry for 7 years and its time to move on and get a real trade under my belt. It was a decision between auto mechanic and HVAC/R and I have chosen HVAC, it really wasnt a hard choice. Is it really true that the stats seem to show that attendance in tech schools for HVAC is down?? I am excited about this new career decision, I feel like I am old enough to be serious and take the job with maturity (married with a child) and not jerk around all day, but young enough to learn a ton and have an excited new attitude about the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    i am 27 and just starting tech school. Have been in flooring industry for 7 years and its time to move on and get a real trade under my belt. It was a decision between auto mechanic and HVAC/R and I have chosen HVAC, it really wasnt a hard choice. Is it really true that the stats seem to show that attendance in tech schools for HVAC is down?? I am excited about this new career decision, I feel like I am old enough to be serious and take the job with maturity (married with a child) and not jerk around all day, but young enough to learn a ton and have an excited new attitude about the trade.
    Hi adamste81 and welcome to the trade. It is true that attendance is down, in fact many programs have been curtailed and some even cut out completely. I used to teach part time at a local vo-tech for extra money, but they have closed the HVAC department and devoted all of the extra space to healthcare training.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerWisperer View Post
    Hi adamste81 and welcome to the trade. It is true that attendance is down, in fact many programs have been curtailed and some even cut out completely. I used to teach part time at a local vo-tech for extra money, but they have closed the HVAC department and devoted all of the extra space to healthcare training.

Is this reflective of the industry slowing down as well? My hang up with HVAC has always been that I will be taking a pay cut. Right now I make $18/hr but the job is going no where and I want to learn a trade. I know coming out of school I will be making around $13/hr but you have to take a step back to move forward, I know in the long run it will be well worth it, just now with a family its a touch pill to swallow.

You're lucky working 50-70 hrs. What's state are you live in? I will make a move to your state..

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Is this reflective of the industry slowing down as well? My hang up with HVAC has always been that I will be taking a pay cut. Right now I make $18/hr but the job is going no where and I want to learn a trade. I know coming out of school I will be making around $13/hr but you have to take a step back to move forward, I know in the long run it will be well worth it, just now with a family its a touch pill to swallow.
    Parts of the industry like residential don't do as well in a down economy, but overall the industry is very stable and growing. The demand for good techs far outstrips the supply because it is not seen as a glamorous trade. Kids coming out of highschool turn up their noses at it because they perceive it as hot, dirty, backbreaking, and sometimes heartbreaking work that will probably never make you rich. They want quick money and easy work as seen in any number of TV ads for this degree or that trade that can be learned in two years and lead you to financial independence with very little effort.

I have found it to be a very rewarding and satisfying career. You will rarely be out of work and in many cases can take your pick of jobs. By contrast, my wife has a bachelors degree in something that she needs a masters degree in just to find a job that pays more than $30K a year. We still owe thousands on her student loans for a fancy piece of worthless paper. (<=== Sorry, that's just me venting)
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12