Acid wash inside coil???

Hello
    I'm totally new here, just found this site today. I have a climatemaster geo unit that I had installed in my log home up in northern Michigan in 2002. It has been working fine for most all of these years, except last year. It seems that the aux heat has been coming on more often, and the unit seems to rum more frequently. It is a 3.5 ton unit, with a trane high efficiency propane furnace for aux. It is an open loop system. The air seems to be coming out of the registers more cool than usuall. I talked to a guy that installs geo units, and he says that since it has been in about 7 or 8 years now, the inside of the coils might need to be acid flushed. Is that a job that needs to be done?? If so, how often?? Also, can this be done by the home owner, or does it take special equipment, and needs to be done by a professional?? The company that installed the unit went out of business, and there is far and few in-between geo contractors in northern Michigan. This unit went from 1 tank of propane every 3 years to starting last year, 1 tank a year. If this is something that I can do by myself, how does it need to be done. Any help would be appreciated. As I mentioned, I'm new here, and a DO-IT-Yselfer, not afraid to tackle any job. Just need the right info before I get my-self into trouble. Thanks in advance

Yeah I did an open loop setup on my unit about 4 years ago. Then last year mine clogged up completely from rust build-up. I believe the acid they are referring to is Muriatic Acid. It took me an entire day flushing in both directions to get clean water flowing back through my unit. After I got it clean I switched over to closed loop because open is just way too much hassle.

Yes, Open loop designs NEED to be "Back Flushed" everything 3 years. When i sell/install/design a geothermal, my estimate includes coming back in 3 years to flush the system. Yes, the short answer is to get it flushed, if thats not it, then check the flow from the well.

I use Nickel-Guard ice machine cleaner to flush water coil on geo's. Only downfall is the acid is red, so you can't see any progress of how much the coil is getting cleaned. Just have to put back into operation again and check temp drops/rise of water in/out to actually see difference. I'm not sure Muriatic is cool for cupro-nickel exchangers. I'm afraid you could actually clean yourself a nasty hole right in the coil, or at least remove the coating from inside it. ?!?! Any other opinions?

I hope it's ok for cupro-nickel. The person who told me to use it was a technician at a geothermal distributor. Either way, I did use it and there are no leaks, and now I'm hopeful that I'll never have to break into the system again.

I've been researching cleaning products for the cupro-nickel coax coil on a geo unit, but unfortunately haven't found much info either online or from the local supply houses. The majority of descalers and cleaners list hydrochloric (muriatic) acid on the MSDS. One advantage of using HCL is that as diluted, it does not attack rubber so I don't need a special chemical pump or hoses. I'll be using a standard submersible pump in a 5 gal pail and washer hoses to flush through the unit.

The product I'm using is a scale remover from Atlantic Chemical (ACE), product name SR. It is 37% HCL acid and as used is diluted 1 part acid to 20 parts water. I also see they sell a nickel-safe cleaner containing phosphoric acid for ice machines but I could not get it locally.

If anyone has recommendations, opinions, etc. please reply.

Yes, I do know the nickel-guard cleaner is safe for geo coils (copper or cupro-nickel). I use it on ice machines with cupronickel evaporators.