New unit failure

I have an interesting failure on my new Trane home system. My wife called me at work to say that the A/C is blowing hot air. When I got home I noted that the compressor was working great with hot air exhausting from the unit. Inside, the air vents were blowing a good volume of air, it was just hot. When I went into the attic I noted that the gas furnace exhaust chimney was very HOT as well as the furnace box. So I turned the system off and also turned off the gas to the unit. I restarted the unit and A/C started blowing cold air. Is it possible that the A/C and gas heater were on at the same time? I would think there would be a lock out for such things. Well I can no longer reproduce this problem and the technician will be looking at it today. It will be difficult for him to fix a working unit. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

never mind
    Last edited by ACFIXR; 06-02-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Removed DIY info/suggestion
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Energy efficient and economical to operate are not synonyms
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

While it could be one of several things.
    Site no DIY rules prohibit me from listing them.

Plus, you don't want to give the tech too many suggestions, and have him swappingout parts that we might suggest. And that not be the problem. And have warranty denied for parts that aren't defective. And then have to pay for them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well, I think you've answered your own question. What else could have caused hot air to be coming out of the vents with the AC on? Of course, it will be difficult to pinpoint the fault now that it has mysteriously disappeared!

The tech found a strand of wire shorted to the heater control. So when the A/C turned on so did the heat. I wonder what my utility bill will be like this month