Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The next crop of techs?

"...Students either have to pass the test once, or fail it three times, to graduate."

OOOOOOO...I want one of them to do a load calc on my house....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

It's a sign of the times, make everything easy for the kids instead of requiring them to learn. Shows how bad public education has gotten.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

the field is getting easier to get into because the jobs are turning into minimum wage crap

O please no one fails kids anymore, you think they want to stare at jr one year extra. They pass them on and push them out.
    Public education retards children more than it helps them. It also turns them into little liberals.
    My heart goes out to any teacher who goes to work and tries.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Finally, I can get my HS Diploma!
    GO DAWGS!

We have to be very tough on our recent hires due to the Unionized Goverment [GM type] education system.

Most of them think that a "C" in the apprenticeship progam is OK and they can arrive late for class. Usually just warning them is not that effective anymore.

When one of them gets "cut" the rest start turning out all "A"s. I always explain to them that they are not in High School any longer but actions make more of an impression on them.

Our methods must be good since the Mfgs Service Departments visit out jobsites recruiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    We have to be very tough on our recent hires due to the Unionized Goverment [GM type] education system.

Most of them think that a "C" in the apprenticeship progam is OK and they can arrive late for class. Usually just warning them is not that effective anymore.

When one of them gets "cut" the rest start turning out all "A"s. I always explain to them that they are not in High School any longer but actions make more of an impression on them.

Our methods must be good since the Mfgs Service Departments visit out jobsites recruiting them.
    My class started with 15 people 6 of us graduated 4 came back to take the upgrade test, it had a 6% passing.
    Then they changed it and 97%made it through the apprenticeship and all of the through upgrade to journeyman. Makes me feel special.

The Journeyman's test here used to be "skewed". The practical part of the exam was actually given by the Local and the Union Apprentices all passed and few non-union made it. The opposite was true for the written exam.

They went to independent grading of the practical, finally and the non-union apprentices actually did better than the Local's. Now they have done away with the practical exam altogether.

Just keeps getting better when we lower that bar.
    I predict the few who look at this as a profession and not a paycheck will go places. The others will be cannon fodder.expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Just keeps getting better when we lower that bar.
    I predict the few who look at this as a profession and not a paycheck will go places. The others will be cannon fodder.expendable.
    You are exactly right. The ones just looking for a job are what I call "Floaters" and seldom find a career.

There are HVAC companies that only use "Floaters" since they hire/layoff every season. I guess they both deserve each other.

So I take it that all you guys took the sample test and passed???????

http://www.startribune.com/newsgraph...nDaycUiacyKUUr

Im an apprentice still in school, only about 10 or so of the 40 people in my class actually are where they need to be for thier level. Out of the 10 only about 4 want to really learn the trade and excel. The others cant even answer simple questions on a chapter test! Thats why companies pay over scale i guess. They also made our turnout test easier after only 10% passed!

I have a very hard time with the younger generation convincing them that companies only hire us to work on their buildings because we are bonafide Experts, not someone who was hired just to do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast