Am I Being Scammed? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    He said "and he tried to tell me that it's more about how the unit is installed than the unit itself."

I hear that a lot on this site,though it's usually in regard to one brand versus another,but SEER is a factor.

In this contractors defense,I must agree with them,to a point.A 13 SEER properly sized ,ducted ,and installed can out perform a 16 SEER that isn't.

So the question I have for the OP is,how do you think he meant that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    So the question I have for the OP is,how do you think he meant that statement?
    I agree with the statement in general for the reasons cited, but he said it in response to me confronting him about the models not meeting government standards for the tax credit.

Essentially, he was trying to claim that these units would, in fact, meet the tax credit criteria because of his company's superior installation.

I've reached out to 3 other companies for quotes. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. This forum is awesome in that it gives the average consumer a fighting chance to not get taken.

Quote Originally Posted by bst1 View Post
    I called the guy back to confront him with this information and ask him how he would reconcile this with the government's 16 SEER requirement for split systems and he tried to tell me that it's more about how the unit is installed than the unit itself.

Very simple solution... ask him for the AHRI certificate for the combination that he is offering.

You can even look it up yourself.

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahriDir...ectSearch.aspx
    Last edited by StarStripes00; 06-02-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Misquote

[QUOTE=StarStripes00;3486602][QUOTE=bst1;3477322]I called the guy back to confront him with this information and ask him how he would reconcile this with the government's 16 SEER requirement for split systems and he tried to tell me that it's more about how the unit is installed than the unit itself.

Very simple solution... ask him for the AHRI certificate for the combination that he is offering.

You can even look it up yourself.

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahriDir...ectSearch.aspx
    I've referenced this multiple times and unless this Energystar website is incorrect, the AHRI is not a complete list of all qualifying systems.

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1

If you read through the Energystar site you will find multiple references to what is known as a "Manufaturers Certification Statement." Presuming that the Energystar website is correct I would recommend if an AHRI number is not available ask the contractor for a M.C.S. prior to signing on the dotted line.

Home Depot special True Blue (if I'm remembering right) 20x25x1

They aren't the expensive 3Ms, but they do have the wire backing and I change them religiously.
    Junk filters. They won't stop anything smaller than a cockroach. Always use a high quality pleated filter. You don't need the 20 dollar ones, but something you can't read a newspaper through would be better.

Thank you StarStripes00 and Thebil Illpay for the information on AHRI and MCS.

Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    Junk filters. They won't stop anything smaller than a cockroach. Always use a high quality pleated filter. You don't need the 20 dollar ones, but something you can't read a newspaper through would be better.
    They are pleated, white, cotton/synthetic blend (? i'm assuming) furnace filters. Not see through at all. Am I still missing something?

Thank you StarStripes00 and Thebil Illpay for the information on AHRI and MCS.

They are pleated, white, cotton/synthetic blend (? i'm assuming) furnace filters. Not see through at all. Am I still missing something?
    My bad. I thought you were talking about those fuzzy blue fiberglass ones. I wouldn't pay a dime for those. The white pleated one you described sounds ok.

Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    My bad. I thought you were talking about those fuzzy blue fiberglass ones. I wouldn't pay a dime for those. The white pleated one you described sounds ok.
    No problem! Pretty understandable given the name brand. I appreciate everyone's advice so much. I'm just glad I haven't been using crap filters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12