Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior

Checked References - Looks Good

Just finished talking with the references provided, including residential and commercial installs. Everybody seems really happy with the contractor and his work. Some have used him for years. One works in the distributors local office and says he only recommends this contractor and wouldn't use anybody else himself.

I would still appreciate more guidance on the previous questions on the York versus Honeywell VisionPro IAQ. If I can't get my story straight he seems set on giving me an as yet unspecified York. Doesn't sound like any of the York thermostats utilize the Affinity HP and furnace for maximum comfort. Still hoping I can get him to include the cheapest York that satisfies the rebate and then either ask for the Honeywell at cost or even buy it myself from Amazon. Hope that approach wouldn't offend anybody.

PS: I believe at least here the York rebates are extended til the end of August.

Doubt he'll be offended giving you an upgrade price. And just leaving the qualifing thermostat with you.

Probably not at cost though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

How About White Rogers 1F95-1291?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Doubt he'll be offended giving you an upgrade price. And just leaving the qualifing thermostat with you.

Probably not at cost though.
    beenthere, I have been pouring through older posts on the matter of thermostats. I found one where you and another moderator thought that the White-Rogers 1F95-1291 could be equal to the VisionPro IAQ for humidity control. That unit seems to have dual-fuel and humidity control - assume that is the blower slowing that you find so good in the IAQ. Any more thoughts on this thermostat?

Any chance that York uses the White-Rogers as one of their thermostats?

Not that I know of.
    None of my cheat sheets list it.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    beenthere, I have been pouring through older posts on the matter of thermostats. I found one where you and another moderator thought that the White-Rogers 1F95-1291 could be equal to the VisionPro IAQ for humidity control. That unit seems to have dual-fuel and humidity control - assume that is the blower slowing that you find so good in the IAQ. Any more thoughts on this thermostat?

Any chance that York uses the White-Rogers as one of their thermostats?
    Too bad if York doesn't provide this thermostat in their line up. The contractor has mentioned the name several times but in a non-definite way. Don't know much about thermostats but this one seems quite capable from the install/operations manual in Google. Also sold on Amazon. Personally never heard of the company but I imagine you pro's have. They have a good reputation?

WR thermostats are good stats.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    White-Rogers 1F95-1291 could be equal to the VisionPro IAQ for humidity control. That unit seems to have dual-fuel and humidity control - assume that is the blower slowing that you find so good in the IAQ. Any more thoughts on this thermostat?
    This unit is fairlycomperable to the IAQ, but you'll need as many as 12 wires to use all of it's features... and it's lacks soem other features included cummunicatign ot zoning equipment. It's not as well evolved or modular as the IAQ. But that doesn't matter in your installation.

I think Rheem and I know Acadia use a rebadged WR thermostat for their hig hend units.

I considered this unit when I was doing my research. The IAQ still seemed mroe refined, and wasn't a whole lot more expensive. It also helped that my Trane installer was somewhat familiar with the Honeywell products...since Trane thermostats are primarily rebadged Hoenywell units.

Good comments, motoguy. 12 wires sounds like a cable (guess I see the advantage of the remote control module on the IAQ). Fortunately, the furnace is right below in a return chase. Zoning not an issue for me. Not sure what communicating does for you other than possibly eliminate cable pulls.

Think I would still like to get the IAQ but the contractor is not committing and not describing York thermostat, more like silent. He's a commercial guy - great refenrences. Don't know how much high end, residential, dual fuel he does from his references and York commercial listing.

His distributor seems to behind him though. However, I had to use ammunition from this forum to convince the distributor that the York Affinity HP + 80% modulating furnace can beat the tax credit criteria, and pretty handily too. Originally said it could not. Probably haven't researched it due to low demand but now they have clout to market high end stuff.

Amazon lists the IAQ with control module at a $$ price but insignificant compared to total package.

Had the York dual fuel HP with Honeywell IAQ thermostat installed in the summer of 2009.

Both units work well and I have never seen a thermostat that maintains the temperature setting so accurately as this Honeywell unit does.

Here is my problem. We have a total southern exposure on the back of the house and the thermostat is located on the wall over the only first floor return in the living room in that area with a lot of windows. In the winter, the sun heat load frequently raises that room temperature beyond the setting while the rest of the house remains 2-6 degrees lower than the setting (70 degrees in the winter) and beyond our comfort level. We just had our youngest son with young children move into a back bedroom and it gets too cool for them as well as us in another bedroom and in the lower walkout area where I spend a lot of time.

I suspect that the advanced variable speed air handler and very accurate thermostat may also be contributing to the problem because of lower air flow speed and shorter run times.

I found on the Honeywell web site the above thermostat/digital interface combination YTH9421C1002/U and it listed as an accessory an C7189U1005/U Remote Indoor Sensor. In the installation manual it says:

This indoor sensor is designed to sense temperature at a remote location and send this information to the VisionPRO Thermostat. This sensor can be used as a stand alone sensor or as part of an averaging network. Once a remote indoor temperature sensor is connected to the thermostat, the thermostat's sensor is no longer used.

- What is "an averaging network"?

- Does that imply that several of these remotes can be placed around the house for an average reading to drive the thermostat?

- Is this a good solution for heating and cooling to the average temps in rooms not affected by the sun load?

You could have 4 of the remote sensors installed, and then it would average the temp from those 4 locations, and control temp by that.
    Contractor locator map

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You could have 4 of the remote sensors installed, and then it would average the temp from those 4 locations, and control temp by that.
    Good to hear from you again, Beenthere, and to see that you are still dispensing such useful advice. Been a few years.

Going on 4 years.

If you only have 3 rooms that you want to average. There is an undocumented way to only use 3 remote sensors. If your installer has a problem figuring it out. Let us know.
    Contractor locator map

THere's always zoning. Averaging is nice, but doens't solve the eproblem, it mostly will just "average it out". Meaning it will overheat one area to heat hte others. However, if it's only for a few hours a day, that still might be better than the cost of zone control. Although with a 4 ton 2 stage unit, you still need 700-800CFM to the smallest zone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast