I live in PA near philly should I do a heat pump AC? I have a 98% Mod furnace.

20 year old townhouse 2 story end unit. 1600 sq foot, no basement

I am replacing my Ac with an 17 Seer York 2 ton unit with 2.5 ton coil, 1 speed.

I have a 98% york modulating furnace that is also brand new and with peco here in pa taking a 20 to 30% electric rate hike in 2010 should i go regular 2 speed ac or regular 1speed ac or go all out for the heat pump unit?

Price doesnt matter so far it will be york.

i know the heat pump is good for those warmer winter days where its not 10 degrees out, but with electric rates going up will i benefit.

If price doesn't matter I'd go ahead to do the heat pump. They're really nice in your area above 40*. Once you get it you may find yourself using it more then the gas furnace. Plus you always have it as backup if your furnace was to go down.

Thumbs up

Peco also has rebate of 300 on 90 plus heater and we really do know what is going to happen with the rates.I tell people buy the best you can afford and the bills will be lower over the long haul.The RH rate is still a BIG question ,but all the GEO's we do use electric so they my rise them all at the same level.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Hmm kW versus gas for 100,000 BTUs

Quote Originally Posted by justinws6ta View Post
    1600 sq foot, no basement

I am replacing my Ac with an 17 Seer York 2 ton unit with 2.5 ton coil, 1 speed.

I have a 98% york modulating furnace that is also brand new and
    with peco here in pa taking a 20 to 30% electric rate hike in 2010 should i go regular 2 speed ac or regular 1speed ac or go all out for the heat pump unit?

Price doesnt matter so far it will be york.

i know the heat pump is good for those warmer winter days where its not 10 degrees out, but with electric rates going up will i benefit.
    Will you benefit?
    Electric rate $0._ _ per kW
    Gas rate $1. _ _ per therm

http://www.hvacopcost.com

You'll get about 3+ X heat for each kW operating a heat pump at > 25'F

Cost at >40'F would likely favor a heat pump and gradually be equal to gas heat in the 25 - 30'F range
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

i would also look into the tax credits available from the government. you can get up to $1500.00 TAX CREDIT.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Will you benefit?
    Electric rate $0._ _ per kW
    Gas rate $1. _ _ per therm

http://www.hvacopcost.com

You'll get about 3+ X heat for each kW operating a heat pump at > 25'F

Cost at >40'F would likely favor a heat pump and gradually be equal to gas heat in the 25 - 30'F range
    The problem is that right now no one knows what the new rate will be, only that PECO says 20 to 30 percent higher than it is now.

We also don't know how PECO will apply the rates once they are established. PECO's parent company in chicago has rates based on time of day. Don't know if that method will be used by PECO or not. In their rate tariff there is also talk of demand charging in which you might pay by your history of demand even if you don't use that much demand for a particular month.

The gas company in Philadelphia does something similar to this by using a weather normalization charge in the winter. If it is not as cold as the company thought it would be, lets say in the month of January, then they add a few dollars on to your bill and make you pay some for the gas you would have used if it was as cold as it should have been. So with demand charging the company is charging you because they have seen how much you use and they have it available to you. Whether you use it nor not - you pay something for it.

At this point no one knows what will be implemented. I was also thinking about a heat pump along with my gas furnance but I am holding off until I see what is going to happen.

Exclamation Provide current gas and electric pricing data

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    The problem is that right now no one knows what the new rate will be, only that PECO says 20 to 30 percent higher than it is now.

We also don't know how PECO will apply the rates once they are established. PECO's parent company in chicago has rates based on time of day. Don't know if that method will be used by PECO or not. In their rate tariff there is also talk of demand charging in which you might pay by your history of demand even if you don't use that much demand for a particular month.

The gas company in Philadelphia does something similar to this by using a weather normalization charge in the winter. If it is not as cold as the company thought it would be, lets say in the month of January, then they add a few dollars on to your bill and make you pay some for the gas you would have used if it was as cold as it should have been. So with demand charging the company is charging you because they have seen how much you use and they have it available to you. Whether you use it nor not - you pay something for it.

At this point no one knows what will be implemented. I was also thinking about a heat pump along with my gas furnance but I am holding off until I see what is going to happen.
    If you know what you are paying now you know what you will be paying in the future.. $100 now $130 MAX in the future.

Reading a current bill is not complex.
    http://www.exeloncorp.com/NR/rdonlyr...ECObill109.pdf

Providing this data to establish the correct methodology and cost-benefit should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 06-03-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Link to PECO bill Added
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    If you know what you are paying now you know what you will be paying in the future.. $100 now $130 MAX in the future.

Reading a current bill is not complex.
    http://www.exeloncorp.com/NR/rdonlyr...ECObill109.pdf

Providing this data to establish the correct methodology and cost-benefit should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
    The easiest statement is that the cost will increase by 30 percent, however I have been a PECO customer long enough to know that I will need to know the details of the rate structure before I make a decision. For example: The current rate structure has folks who use a HP in the winter paying a slightly higher rate during the summer than those without electric heat. If you also get your gas service from PECO it probably doesn't matter because I think they keep their revenue streams close, but if you're like me and have a different gas company It might be cheaper to use gas than go with electric. So I have decided to wait until I see the rate structures before I make a decision.

Yea see thats the thing 20 to 30% Peco increase so i went with the regular single stage york affinity 14.5 2 ton, and a 2.5 ton coil with bumps seer to 16.9 and eer to 13.9. so got EAP, TAX, and peco rebate im happy.

the heatpump wasnt much more but my affinity 9c 98% modulating gas furnace i cant see my gas bill being more expensive to use. So well see what happens this winter.