Question Newbie questions..

I would like to do a Geo Thermal heat-pump/AC unit. (with maybe hot water heater also?)

My house is a 1600 SQ Bi-level and is currently all electric with base board electric heat and electric hot water heater.

I have a on site well for my water and a septic tank with a leach field.

That back of my house is close to the woods and half of my back yard is woods and my yard is sloped with the leach field in the back your that is not woods and a pump that was just replaced that pumps the water up to the leach field.

I am also planning on adding some solar panels to the roof as I get a good amount of sun from about 10 am to 7pm and the front of my house which faces south/west.

I am looking for suggestion on the best way to do the Geo Thermal system, closed loop or open.

HI

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
    I would like to do a Geo Thermal heat-pump/AC unit. (with maybe hot water heater also?)

My house is a 1600 SQ Bi-level and is currently all electric with base board electric heat and electric hot water heater.

I have a on site well for my water and a septic tank with a leach field.

That back of my house is close to the woods and half of my back yard is woods and my yard is sloped with the leach field in the back your that is not woods and a pump that was just replaced that pumps the water up to the leach field.

I am also planning on adding some solar panels to the roof as I get a good amount of sun from about 10 am to 7pm and the front of my house which faces south/west.

I am looking for suggestion on the best way to do the Geo Thermal system, closed loop or open.
    HI,

The geothermal heat pumps can be operated in an open or closed loop. The open loop system takes the water from the source of the geothermal heat and re-circulates it back into the well after it has been used and cools down. The closed loop uses water and an antifreeze solution in a ground loop of pipe to draw up the heat from the well.

Ground loops can be installed in a vertical well or a horizontal loop. Vertical wells are usually more expensive and used where space is limited. The length of loop pipe required will vary with soil type, loop configuration, and system capacity. Loop length can range from 250 to 1,000 feet per ton of capacity.

So i think you should go for open loop

You cannot use the same well for source and exhaust water in an open loop - you need a 2'nd well a specific distance from the source water well. An open loop is usally less expensive than a closed loop because the 2'nd well is usally cheaper than burying the closed loop piping. An open loop is often more efficient (15%-20%) than a closed loop operating at 0 C / 32 F.

Quote Originally Posted by carm1575 View Post
    You cannot use the same well for source and exhaust water in an open loop - you need a 2'nd well a specific distance from the source water well. An open loop is usally less expensive than a closed loop because the 2'nd well is usally cheaper than burying the closed loop piping. An open loop is often more efficient (15%-20%) than a closed loop operating at 0 C / 32 F.
    Do you know about how far apart would they need to be?

Can I use the exciting well that I use for my water supply to my house? (can they be shared)

I'm not sure how far apart they have to be - a contractor can answer this question accurately but the distance, I seem to recall, is around 100 ft more or less. I use the same well for HP and house water but my well has been rated at 50 gpm for 1 hr continuous pumping. The HP uses about 12 gpm and the house up to 6 gpm. My well pump is 0.5 hp and has a 20 gpm head on it.