Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Oh, I didn't know he had become religious. I should have thought to google before assuming he had always been an atheist. Anyway, I fully agree with his statement on silliness.
    Hoo boy! Is this right on time, or what?

OK, now it's getting scary
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    For those who are not familiar with the books, Blaine the Mono was an artificial intelligence that had massive amounts of data at his disposal but was also influenced by an evil force.
    Instead, here, I am only analysing your arguments. You are not presenting any data, a crucial point of my argument, and I am not drawing on any so masses of data are not involved here. You are presenting only a claim on faith or prejudice with arguments demonstrated to be incoherrent.

As for evil and good. Well, historically it is religions that have been most evil - by a long way. But really too it is a topic irrelevent to the matter at hand here - the question of determining whether abortion is murder - which can be answered without changing the subject to matters of evil and good.

This is how the bible perverts the minds of its followers. It teaches that infidels are evil! Despite masses of disconfirming evidence.

Lol, religion is in fact entirely irrelevant to the topic except that religious people find themselves committing some very antisocial acts on account of their religious beliefs.
    Granted. On behalf of religious people I'll offer an apology for the abuse being spewed by some so-called religious people in this thread.

But it doesn't make sense to ask for an answer in terms of life. A virus is life. Hmmm, a friend with a PHD in biology told me that we were just an enormous package of viruses.

The question has to start from the point of "Is abortion murder?"

For instance, killing a baby that is born without a brain is not considered murder.
    A virus doesn't have the potential to become a human being.

I believe abortion is murder because I believe life begins at conception.

So when do you think life begins...exactly.
    Preach the Gospel at all times - if necessary, use words. St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by homersodyssey View Post
    Granted. On behalf of religious people I'll offer an apology for the abuse being spewed by some so-called religious people in this thread.

Who the hell do you think you are to speak on behalf of anyone else?! You are no better then Marc O'Blaine here when it comes to degrading people of faith.

A virus doesn't have the potential to become a human being.

I believe abortion is murder because I believe life begins at conception.

So when do you think life begins...exactly.
    You do not know a virus does not have the potential to become a human being. If there is a god maybe that is precisely how he made humans.

Sperm and eggs are not dead "things?"

But if you believe that life begins at conception and the definition you use for the word life is precisely that which if killed is also then murdered, then that is your arbitrary cut-off point.

For me life begins at when brain waves are detected - that's about 30 days after conception. But the presence of brain waves does not guarantee a healthy birth. Only a healthy birth does.

I do believe there needs to be an arbitrary cut-off point. Like speed limits on roads. In towns here in the UK it is 30 mph. Not 31mph or 29mph. It is arbitrarily rounded to 30mph.

Perhaps arbitrarily it could be said some small degree of anguish might be experienced by the fetus after 60 days? Maybe somewhere there should be a cut-off?

Who the hell do you think you are to speak on behalf of anyone else?! You are no better then Marc O'Blaine here when it comes to degrading people of faith.
    Lol, homersodyssey, I wonder if Robo sees the irony

When life begins is not the legal issue. It is when a fetus becomes a living human being that is the legal issue. It is currently established that a fetus, in legal terms only, is not a living human being subject to the protection of law as a living human being until it draws it's first breath after birth. I believe that is the way it is currently. I could be off by a delivery or so

Theologically, there are quite a few variances of thought on when the soul enters the fetus or even if it enters on the baby's first drawn breath outside of the womb. Everyone can cite some scripture in claim of their particular belief as to the when the living fetus becomes a spiritual human being.

The bottom line is that this should not even be a discussion in this day and age where avoiding pregnancy is such an easy thing to do.

This is how the bible perverts the minds of its followers. It teaches that infidels are evil! Despite masses of disconfirming evidence.
    Evil. Hmm. In who's eyes and by what definition?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

When life begins is not the legal issue. It is when a fetus becomes a living human being that is the legal issue.

Theologically, there are quite a few variances of thought on when the soul enters the fetus or even if it enters on the baby's first drawn breath outside of the womb.
    For some the definition of life in this context is precisely when a fetus become a living human being.

Souls, well, now, that's ghosts and stuff, isn't it? Are they not supposed to be indestructible meaning they enter bodies, hang around while that body is living, and then move off some place else. Maybe the soul entering the fetus has a change of mind and is later only too glad that you have set it free to find another fetus.

Lol, homersodyssey, I wonder if Robo sees the irony
    I doubt it as I've pointed it out to him several times. However, I haven't given up hope on him yet.

I do believe there needs to be an arbitrary cut-off point. Like speed limits on roads. In towns here in the UK it is 30 mph. Not 31mph or 29mph. It is arbitrarily rounded to 30mph.

Perhaps arbitrarily it could be said some small degree of anguish might be experienced by the fetus after 60 days? Maybe somewhere there should be a cut-off?
    The problem with an arbitrary point for life is that it is so ... arbitrary. So life is legally protected at day thirty and not twenty nine? Are we absolutely sure we know when day one occured? If I challenged this arbitrary point in court, how would the defence present its case?

I doubt it as I've pointed it out to him several times. However, I haven't given up hope on him yet.
    Somehow I figured you'd side with the atheist

Somehow I figured you'd side with the atheist
    Not with the Atheist, with the truth. Hitler believed London was the capital of England. If I told you I also believed London was the capital of England you would probably tell me you somehow figured I'd side with Hitler.

Just kidding, I appreciate the humour

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast