Page 1 of 31 1234567811 ... LastLast

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

I started another thread on the use of hermeneutics (the proper interpretation of scripture). Well, here is another very popular verse found in Matthew 7:1

Anyone up for a discussion as to what this verse actually says? It does not say what most who quote it think it says and it may be one of the most misused verses in the Bible.

Any thoughts?

I see two possible meanings;

-When you judge others you open yourself to judgment.

or

-If you're going to judge, you'd better have your own house in order

Hugh, what do you think about starting a thread on hermeneutics in general, one to base specific scriptural interpretations upon?
    Preach the Gospel at all times - if necessary, use words. St. Francis of Assisi

Huh? What, y'all think there's some intelligent life around here?

"1. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration: judge heights; judging character.
    a. Law: To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case.
    b. Obsolete: To pass sentence on; condemn.
    c. To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: judge an essay contest."

The above was found in an online dictionary. I don't know where they get #2b is obsolete. It is how I have always understood "to judge".

There is another word that most people are ignorant of that better says what we are doing when we are accused of judging. That word is "discerning".

"dis·cern (d-sûrn, -zûrn)
    v. dis·cerned, dis·cern·ing, dis·cerns
    v.tr.
    1. To perceive with the eyes or intellect; detect.
    2. To recognize or comprehend mentally.
    3. To perceive or recognize as being different or distinct; distinguish. See Synonyms at see1.
    v.intr.
    To perceive differences."

When someone is doing something wrong, we are SUPPOSED to recognize that wrong-doing. But we are not to pass sentence on or condemn the wrong-doer.

"Judge". "Discern". It's a matter of knowing what a word means. (And this is not interpretation. It is translation/definition.)
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

These are all good posts and are appreciated. I was wondering how many if any at all would be interested in this thread. Glad to see the participation. I have what I think is an interesting insight on this verse.

However, as with all Bible quotes, they need to be considered in context. This is no exception. Perhaps some of you who want to participate in this discussion may want to look this verse up and read the entire chapter.

This verse is often used to accuse others (especially other Christians) of judging others. These are the very words of Jesus himself so you can't get any greater authority than that if you believe the Bible.

God will judge us the way we judge others.

I think IVP does a fine job of explaining this passage especially since it agrees with my beliefs. :
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I'm in general agreement with K and boots here. This one is pretty straight forward as far as I can see.

Even with using Strong's Concordance for the defining of the term "judge", we wind up with the same result; If we judge others, we will be judged ourselves. How we judge others is how we too will be judged.

So, to keep from being judged, we should not judge others. This falls in line with "Forgiving things I do wrong to others, just as I forgive the wrongs that others do to me." If you can't forgive someone else, you have no right to ask for or expect forgiveness for your self and if you judge others wrongdoing, you must expect your wrong doings to be judged.

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ya know, when someone uses this verse against you they are in violation of the same verse at that very moment. Anyone using this verse on another is using an arguement that commits suicide.

Ya might want to remember that when someone goes after you for judging someone, like a tv evangelist or radio preacher or a cult perhaps.

But, the verse taken in context actually gives permission to judge. Read the entire chapter carefully.

Interesting timing for this thread... we are studying the sermon on the mount for my Discipleship Curriculum. I'll make certain to probe a bit deeper on this particular passage during our discussion tomorrow morning at 0600.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

OK, so if we correct in ourselves what could be judged as being wrong, then we will have the ability to help others who may normally be inclined to judge.

So, by constantly being aware of and correcting our own faults we will have the ability to help others with their problems rather then just expressing the obvious about them.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    OK, so if we correct in ourselves what could be judged as being wrong, then we will have the ability to help others who may normally be inclined to judge.

So, by constantly being aware of and correcting our own faults we will have the ability to help others with their problems rather then just expressing the obvious about them.

I can agree with that Robo. Here is more;

The first verse says "Judge not that ye be not judged" Then the following four verses explain that you need to clean up your own act. And then you can help a brother with his sin.

But keep reading. Verse six says not to give that which is holy unto the dogs neither cast pearls before swine. Who are the dogs and swine? Groups of people. Without taking the side trip to identify who the dog people and swine people are, it is obvious that you must make a judgement of people to determine the dog people and swine people from the rest of the people. So, Jesus himself is making the charge that some form of judgement is necessary.

But, it gets still stronger a little later. Look at verse 15 of the same chapter. "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." next verse continues "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

In other words we are to make judgements. And, that includes false preachers and teachers of the word. I could name a few tv evangelists that fit the mold pretty well and I bet some of you can as well. Jesus himself tells us to look at their fruits (works, actions) and you can see that they are wrong and in fact teach a false message.

So, rather than this "Judge not that ye be not judged" verse saying what most like to use it for, it says something very different when taken in context with the rest of this sermon by Jesus himself. By the way, Boy, was he judgemental!!!

Again, I am trying to show how important a simple application of some basic hermeneutical prinicples are. In this case it is just reading what it says and reading the entire chapter rather than pulling out a single verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    I can agree with that Robo. Here is more;

The first verse says "Judge not that ye be not judged" Then the following four verses explain that you need to clean up your own act. And then you can help a brother with his sin.

But keep reading. Verse six says not to give that which is holy unto the dogs neither cast pearls before swine. Who are the dogs and swine? Groups of people. Without taking the side trip to identify who the dog people and swine people are, it is obvious that you must make a judgement of people to determine the dog people and swine people from the rest of the people. So, Jesus himself is making the charge that some form of judgement is necessary.

But, it gets still stronger a little later. Look at verse 15 of the same chapter. "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." next verse continues "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

In other words we are to make judgements. And, that includes false preachers and teachers of the word. I could name a few tv evangelists that fit the mold pretty well and I bet some of you can as well. Jesus himself tells us to look at their fruits (works, actions) and you can see that they are wrong and in fact teach a false message.

So, rather than this "Judge not that ye be not judged" verse saying what most like to use it for, it says something very different when taken in context with the rest of this sermon by Jesus himself. By the way, Boy, was he judgemental!!!

Again, I am trying to show how important a simple application of some basic hermeneutical prinicples are. In this case it is just reading what it says and reading the entire chapter rather than pulling out a single verse.
    And THAT is the difference between judgement and discernment.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Page 1 of 31 1234567811 ... LastLast