Would you trust an atheist? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you trust an atheist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    4 11.76%
  • Yes

    17 50.00%
  • Maybe, on a case-by-case basis.

    13 38.24%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 71
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by J_SIN View Post
    hopefully this doesnt come across as rude, but...

    do you not trust anyone until you find out they do have some kind of religious beliefs?
    Not rude in any way at all.

    Well sort of, yes. I am not a very trusting person, having been burned a lot.

    I have a kind of graduated system of trust. I will trust most anyone with a very small trust and just take my chances.

    At some point though, I am going to probe the religious belief issue If I am hoping to strengthen the relationship. Atheism is an absolute deal-killer there.

  2. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Now there is a question, would you trust a sun worshiper?
    Ohhhhh, ya got me...I just spell it Son worship
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

  3. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Not rude in any way at all.

    Well sort of, yes. I am not a very trusting person, having been burned a lot.

    I have a kind of graduated system of trust. I will trust most anyone with a very small trust and just take my chances.

    At some point though, I am going to probe the religious belief issue If I am hoping to strengthen the relationship. Atheism is an absolute deal-killer there.
    You sound very primitive, intellectually speaking. Seems to me you are just destined to be repeatedly burned for who you are.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Watch the original Zeitgeist Movie at www.zeitgeistmovie.com (bottom right).

    The read this book, you can watch an informative video at this same link...

    Christianity is Sun Worship
    Look Marc, I spent much time in church as a youth. The 'son' was worshiped, never the 'sun'.

    Go to a church sometime and see for yourself.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    You sound very primitive, intellectually speaking. Seems to me you are just destined to be repeatedly burned for who you are.
    Well there you go. As the resident atheist, you think I am intellectually inferior to you and just going to get screwed/burned by someone anyway.

    See? I don't trust you. I think I am correct.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I can see that, the problem being people who use their anti belief to avoid answering to a higher power or to explain away their actions and those who either dont know any better or chose not to and claim science is the answer.

    To answer your question, i would have to know the person, many adopt that belief in hopes of safeguarding themselves and are not truly athiest. Many have been hurt so bad by false teachings and teachers they cant give God another shot, even if it wasnt his fault.
    Well, when I started this thread I did not think so far ahead as your post. But I do see some folks as being in a transitional/undecided status. I would not call that an atheist, as they are 'looking for answers'.

    Denial of God, whatever the seeming excuse/reason, that would still be an atheist by my definition although there may also be a transitional phase in that situation too.

  7. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Ohhhhh, ya got me...I just spell it Son worship

    Indeed


  8. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Well there you go. As the resident atheist, you think I am intellectually inferior to you and just going to get screwed/burned by someone anyway.

    See? I don't trust you. I think I am correct.
    Lol, come on, chill, ever heard of a self fulfilling prophesy?

  9. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    108
    I guess I just cant see things from your point of view since I'm neither religious, or have ever been burned. I really only have two "beliefs" in life, if you want to call them that.

    1. Everything happens for a reason.
    2. Karma

    I've always done the right thing because that is what I want to do, not because I'm worried about an afterlife. Even though I feel Karma is why good things happen to me, its not why I do good thing. I try to help my family and friends out whenever possible in any way that I can and I know they will do the same for me. I only have one friend that has any kind of religion in his life (strict mormon) and as far as I'm concerned he is no better or worse then any other friends I have (and I do have quite a lot).

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Lol, come on, chill, ever heard of a self fulfilling prophesy?
    Sure, just don't beat me up and take my lunch-money, Okay?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by J_SIN View Post
    I guess I just cant see things from your point of view since I'm neither religious, or have ever been burned. I really only have two "beliefs" in life, if you want to call them that.

    1. Everything happens for a reason.
    2. Karma

    I've always done the right thing because that is what I want to do, not because I'm worried about an afterlife. Even though I feel Karma is why good things happen to me, its not why I do good thing. I try to help my family and friends out whenever possible in any way that I can and I know they will do the same for me. I only have one friend that has any kind of religion in his life (strict mormon) and as far as I'm concerned he is no better or worse then any other friends I have (and I do have quite a lot).
    From that explanation, I certainly think you do believe in a 'higher power' of some sort.

    I am A-OKAY with that. Sounds trustworthy to me.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Yes. I am saying that someone has to believe in a higher power or I do not trust them. I am even willing to fudge on the particular belief system here, so I think I am being very open-minded.
    If we are ever in a large conflict in this country, please dont ever jump in my foxhole...lol

    Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    The most untrustworthy person i know personally is a devote Christian...bible classes....readings at masses can quote scripture, all that. But anytime some thing is "free" to grab he will take more than his fair share. He will liberate things laying around to use as his own and add to his collections. He wife has medical problems and he has on more than one occasion told me "I told her to wait till morning to drive herself to the doc" She had blood out both ends.
    Tell others one thing wile he does another just to make his life simple.
    I don't base my trust on religion..To get my trust u have to EARN it.

    I am Catholic if that makes any difference to anyone....which it should not.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event