View Poll Results: Would you trust an atheist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

4 11.76%
  • Yes

17 50.00%
  • Maybe, on a case-by-case basis.

13 38.24%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thumbs up

"All religions are a construct of men to modify the behavior of, and/or gain power and control over other men. Many, probably the majority, of the most vile atrocities and social injustices in human history were committed in the name of "God".

Cant get more truthful than this!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Yes, I specified 'no particular religion'. I just mean a belief in a 'higher power' of some sort.

I am reminded of a guy I used to work with, and I really liked him. Nice fellow, but did not believe in God. Well, he turned out to be a thief, and I mean no conscience about it whatsoever. I never understood how such a nice guy could be a thief. That was the only thing that was otherwise odd, did not believe in any God of any sort at all.

I did try to talk to him about that maybe twice, but he was completely close-minded to the subject.

I don't think I could trust an aetheist to pray for me

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I don't think I could trust an aetheist to pray for me
    LOL, I know I wasn't very specific....

I was thinking about money or tools, honesty in general.

Belief in spirits does not make anyone more honest....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Yes. I am saying that someone has to believe in a higher power or I do not trust them. I am even willing to fudge on the particular belief system here, so I think I am being very open-minded.
    I can see that, the problem being people who use their anti belief to avoid answering to a higher power or to explain away their actions and those who either dont know any better or chose not to and claim science is the answer.

To answer your question, i would have to know the person, many adopt that belief in hopes of safeguarding themselves and are not truly athiest. Many have been hurt so bad by false teachings and teachers they cant give God another shot, even if it wasnt his fault.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Yes, I specified 'no particular religion'. I just mean a belief in a 'higher power' of some sort.
    what about Karma?

Quote Originally Posted by J_SIN View Post
    what about Karma?
    I think that would apply as a 'higher power', yes.

I have a buddy who is what I would call a 'non-practicing muslim' and I trust him. Various catholics, protestants, even some jews but I figure they have some idea of 'karma' at least if not a bigger picture of judgment day. So I expect a certain amount of ethical behavior, even when 'no-one is looking' because God does see all.

Atheists, just animals looking for food until they die, I do not trust them. I know some atheists are nice, but so are some murderers and thieves. I do not trust them.
    Lol, I have serious doubts about your authenticity.

A problem with religious people is that they defer accountability for their often horrendous actions and behaviors. Atheists accept full and unwaivering responsibility for their own actions and as such have always been more moderate in their approach to matters of beliefs or politics or issues of social contention.

Religious folk are so busy watching the sky they just don't get round to noticing how wonderful our short lives on this planet actually are.

Anyway, the sun dies every year on the 22nd of December and after 3 days rises 1 degree north on the morning of the 25th, the beginning of the new year. Christianity is total sun worship. Horus is your true god

BTW, Horus's mother was also called Mri pronounced Mary by Egyptians

Now there is a question, would you trust a sun worshiper?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Lol, I have serious doubts about your authenticity.

A problem with religious people is that they defer accountability for their often horrendous actions and behaviors. Atheists accept full and unwaivering responsibility for their own actions and as such have always been more moderate in their approach to matters of beliefs or politics or issues of social contention.

Religious folk are so busy watching the sky they just don't get round to noticing how wonderful our short lives on this planet actually are.

Anyway, the sun dies every year on the 22nd of December and after 3 days rises 1 degree north on the morning of the 25th, the beginning of the new year. Christianity is total sun worship. Horus is your true god

BTW, Horus's mother was also called Mri pronounced Mary by Egyptians

Now there is a question, would you trust a sun worshiper?
    I would dispute that Christianity is 'sun-worshiping'.....

''''Atheists accept full and unwavering responsibility for their own actions '''''

I think this is highly debatable too.

I am indeed a christian, perhaps not a very good one.

hopefully this doesnt come across as rude, but...

do you not trust anyone until you find out they do have some kind of religious beliefs?

I would dispute that Christianity is 'sun-worshiping'.....

Watch the original Zeitgeist Movie at www.zeitgeistmovie.com (bottom right).

The read this book, you can watch an informative video at this same link...

Christianity is Sun Worship

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I don't believe in a god or higher power that meddles in the affairs of the passengers on spaceship Earth, but I'm no atheist.

I'm a deist.
    I don't find much significance between a theist and a deist.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. – Abraham Maslow

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast