View Poll Results: Would you trust an atheist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

4 11.76%
  • Yes

17 50.00%
  • Maybe, on a case-by-case basis.

13 38.24%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Would you trust an atheist?

I have a buddy who is what I would call a 'non-practicing muslim' and I trust him. Various catholics, protestants, even some jews but I figure they have some idea of 'karma' at least if not a bigger picture of judgment day. So I expect a certain amount of ethical behavior, even when 'no-one is looking' because God does see all.

Atheists, just animals looking for food until they die, I do not trust them. I know some atheists are nice, but so are some murderers and thieves. I do not trust them.

Are you saying that if someone doesn't believe in a mythical being, you don't trust them?

You gotta stay out that box of freakies son.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Would I trust an atheist to do what?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

are you implying that anyone who believes in some kind of god has never murdered or stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Are you saying that if someone doesn't believe in a mythical being, you don't trust them?

You gotta stay out that box of freakies son.
    Yes. I am saying that someone has to believe in a higher power or I do not trust them. I am even willing to fudge on the particular belief system here, so I think I am being very open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by J_SIN View Post
    are you implying that anyone who believes in some kind of god has never murdered or stolen?
    Not at all. But there would be some consideration in mind when the crime was committed. Atheist, no need for such consideration.

No, I don't trust atheists as a general rule but, if it's any consolation to the atheists here, having a Jesus fish on one's car, truck or business card pretty much knocks them out of the running too.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Not at all. But there would be some consideration in mind when the crime was committed. Atheist, no need for such consideration.
    consideration of what?

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    No, I don't trust atheists as a general rule but, if it's any consolation to the atheists here, having a Jesus fish on one's car, truck or business card pretty much knocks them out of the running too.
    Understood, I am not really happy with the loud promoters either. It is a matter of decorum, not belief.

consideration of what?
    Ouch! point proven!

Consideration of what? Well then there you go. EXACTLY why I do not trust atheists.

J_Sin wins the door prize!!!!!!
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

ahh, you're one of those guys. Vague replies with no direct answers. No point trying to have discussion with you.

ahh, you're one of those guys. Vague replies with no direct answers. No point trying to have discussion with you.
    I have answered your questions. Except 'considerations of what' and to that I will answer 'consideration of what God thinks about it'.

I don't believe in a god or higher power that meddles in the affairs of the passengers on spaceship Earth, but I'm no atheist.

I'm a deist.

My ethics are based on how I wish others to treat me. Since I don't particularly wish to be physically assaulted, lied to, stolen from, cheated, killed, or otherwise mistreated, the rational thing is for me not to do those things to others.

I believe there are a great many closet deists out there who are essentially just going with the local theist flow because it is easier, and/or they have never thought about it deeply.

I don't automatically find someone more trustworthy because of their professed belief in any brand of theism, but the teachings of some brands will cause me to be more wary of those who profess belief in that brand.

All religions are a construct of men to modify the behavior of, and/or gain power and control over other men. Many, probably the majority, of the most vile atrocities and social injustices in human history were committed in the name of "God".
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast