But WHY? Surely Ohio doesn't have a law against volunteer works?

I'm obviously missing the intent. The guy was just trying to help out and they arrest him for it????

http://start.localnet.com/article.ph...D98G3O2G0.html

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...e192098860.txt

Ohio man arrested for obstruction for mowing unkempt grass at public park
    (AP) 03:48:27 PM (ET), Friday, May 29, 2009 (SANDUSKY, Ohio)

An Ohio man arrested for mowing unkempt grass at a public park said he just wanted to make his city look nice. John Hamilton said he took control of the situation because the grass in Sandusky's Central Park was about a foot high. According to a police report, a witness said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up.

Police said they arrested 48-year-old Hamilton after he refused to stop mowing and charged him with obstructing official business and disorderly conduct.

City Manager Matt Kline called the arrest unfortunate and said he understands Hamilton's frustration. Kline said budget cuts have left Sandusky understaffed for seasonal maintenance work.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    I'm obviously missing the intent. The guy was just trying to help out and they arrest him for it????

http://start.localnet.com/article.ph...D98G3O2G0.html

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...e192098860.txt

Ohio man arrested for obstruction for mowing unkempt grass at public park
    (AP) 03:48:27 PM (ET), Friday, May 29, 2009 (SANDUSKY, Ohio)

An Ohio man arrested for mowing unkempt grass at a public park said he just wanted to make his city look nice. John Hamilton said he took control of the situation because the grass in Sandusky's Central Park was about a foot high. According to a police report, a witness said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up.

Police said they arrested 48-year-old Hamilton after he refused to stop mowing and charged him with obstructing official business and disorderly conduct.

City Manager Matt Kline called the arrest unfortunate and said he understands Hamilton's frustration. Kline said budget cuts have left Sandusky understaffed for seasonal maintenance work.

My guess is that he was arrested for refusing to obey the lawful order of a police officer rather than for mowing the grass. There are lots of good deeds one could go about doing that could land one in jail simply because of a failure to obtain permission first.

That sucks.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

That sucks.
    I'll second that.....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

WOW.........This is ridiculous. I'd like to see the person that complained about the blowing grass on the sidewalk instead of the park turning into a jungle.

The point of his arrest is he didn't stop when the police told him to. All he had to do was get permission beforehand.

I'll remember that next time I pick a piece of trash up that isn't mine!

Having to have permission from the government to do the right thing? Is that what we have become? No freakin' wonder BO got elected.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

The proper response to a police request that strikes you as 'funny' is... "Only if you insist". Sometimes people confuse suggestions with lawful orders. If they insist, technically you must comply.

Maybe what ya'll need is a little refresher. learn to live with weeds, most of which have evolved of the epochs to survive with little water, no fertilizer and no cultivation. They are a gift, some of which are edible. 1 billion people are starving because of the high cost of food. Reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and feed some of the unfortunatepeople who die hungry

So...
    what you're saying is that the hungry people of the world should learn to graze?

So...
    what you're saying is that the hungry people of the world should learn to graze?
    something a little different