Need to verify if contractor provided correct advice

Have a 10 year old Rheem system. Had extensive work completed on outside of home. During process line set was pinched and pierced by falling concrete. End result, unit was disconnected to prevent further damage the incorrect way. By the time we realized the line was pinched and leaked, it was too late to say refridgerant. With the heat on its way we need to have reconnected and charged. I've heard two different scenerios by multiple reliable sources. Several are saying it can be reconnected and will work fine taking the proper steps such as installing a "dyer" to the line others have said that since the compressor sat with the valves open it most likely will not run properly.

Any advice on which way to go? Not in position to get a new unit installed, but will if need to. The person saying to add dryer are United Refridgeration and the contractor and other supplier are saying to replace.

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It's crap shoot. Risking X $to reinstall ,might be wasted or not.

Depending how long it sat and how much moisture was present. I would install new dryer and vacumn and purge with dry nitrogen and then charge unit. Should be fine. If it was left exposed for a month then I would worry.
    Do it right the first time.

Thanks for quick replies.

It sat for well over a month during all elements. Was hoping to salvage for a year or two. But with the cost of Freon and its existance becoming extinct, might as well replace. Just need others input for convincing since this is an area i know nothing about except the gas and electric company love when i use it.

There are 2 pluses to it. 1) good friend works for UR and I can get all parts at cost - new compressor is $. 2) all new EP Henry outside should have run me close to 20k, but only paid about half thanks to a good friend. So i am ahead either way.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-27-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Removed price

50/50.

It could work fine and last 10 or more years.
    Or, it could die in a day.
    How lucky do you feel.

PS: No prices in post.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

let the contractors insurance pay for replacement

Immediately Valve Off the Condenser w/ Leaks Elsewhere

If you called an A/C contractor when it happened, they should have told U that the suction & liquid lines should have been immediately valved off. Done soon enough a lot of the refrigerant could have been saved; the compressor & condenser would have been protected from immediate contamination.

Over time, Moisture combined with refrigerant forms sulfuric acid that will eat away the insulation on the compressor motor windings, & cause damage to the entire system.

All of the old existing filter/dryers would have to be removed, & both a slightly over capacity liquid line & a suction line filter dryer installed.

Heat should be applied to the compressor during procedures & any crank case heater should have been turned on 24 hours before doing the procedures.

Purge, then Leak test; then Purge a number of times then do deep triple evacuations with proper dry nitrogen purges between each evacuation.

If it were mine & it had been cooling real well, I'd do all the requisite procedures & replace when I could afford it.

During initial installations too many systems are installed with air & moisture in the systems. When dry nitrogen is not flowed during the brazing process, interior copper oxide scale can plug strainers, TXV screens, etc., therefore, your risk always depends on the skill level & integrity of the techs doing the install procedures. - Darrell

Hmm repair/replace?

AS someone posted earlier, damage to your HVAC unit should be covered by the contractor whose work damaged it! If you decide to try and use old unit, then get the contractor's copy of their insurance coverage, or at least their agent's phone number, and record all your expenses because as posted earlier it could last ten years, or ten minutes! (PS you did hire an insured contractor didn't you?)

I think the contractor might be responsible fer repairs, but not a whole new system. Get a pro to hook it back up, put in necessary driers, flow the nitrogen, evacuate the system.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    let the contractors insurance pay for replacement
    Side job,he only paid 50% of value,likely no insurance.

With the money he saved.
    He should have plenty to have a new unit installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    With the money he saved.
    He should have plenty to have a new unit installed.

True!