Help -Installers here now and RUUD equipment installed does not match bid

So we have beat the oversized coil issue to death and apparently the installers agree. The original bid had:

UGFD-07
    UARL-036
    RCQD-3624A

As has been discussed the 24-inch coil was too big for the 17-inch furnace. Well apparently the installers agree because they are now installing the following:

UGFD-07
    UARL-036
    RCFL-HM3617

I don't see any AHRI specs for this combo. Also, looking at the spec sheet for the RCFL coil it says its only compatible with up to 60k BTU. I am worried this doesn't work with my 75k BTU furnace.

Can anyone offer some help on this?

Thanks!

I don't find anything either. Didn't know the RCFL-HM3617 couldn't go on a 07 furnace though. But the RCFL isn't efficient enough for the A/C you picked. The RCQD is a much larger coil or in the RCFM 3617 would be rated.

Thanks Loonie...already knew it was going to be a discussion. I guess now they are just going to end up tearing apart their work and re-doing it. Guess I will talk to them now before they get too far.

Loonie - Can you provide any additional info on why the RCFL is not efficient enough to go with this a/c setup. I am working with the installer to get the RCQD-3621A put in its place as it gets me, what appear to be, much better SEER/EER numbers.

So far they claim its just as efficient as the RCQD and its no big deal so they will just refund me the price difference. My response was that I appreciate that but I would prefer to go with the RCQD-3621A to get the most efficient system I can and just get a refund for the difference between the 3624 and the 3621 coil.

I printed out spec sheets on the RCFL-3617 and RCQD-3621 and there are some pretty substantial differences in static pressure drop between the two:

RCFL-3617
    0.17 @ 800cfm
    0.21 @ 900cfm
    0.26 @ 1,000cfm
    0.31 @ 1,100cfm
    0.36 @ 1,200cfm

RCQD-3621
    0.08 @ 800cfm
    0.10 @ 900cfm
    0.13 @ 1,000cfm
    0.16 @ 1,100cfm
    0.18 @ 1,200cfm

Just wondering if this is what you were speaking about regarding efficiency? I have the spec sheets for the unit showing the RCQD-3621 combo with an EER = 11.9 and a SEER = 15.50. The RCFL is not rated on the spec sheet with the UARL but the RCFM-3617 shows EER = 11.10 and SEER = 13.50.

To me those numbers are significant...any thoughts?

My guess is the RCFL is too small for the high SEER outdoor unit. And yes, it is very restrictive. Stick to your guns for the RCQD-3621 which does so much better in efficiency than the RCFM which is an N coil.

Thanks Loonie, the RCQD coil will be ordered tomorrow and installed no charge. After long discussions they are actually going to modify their proposals and only propose on ARI numbered systems. Scary to think a home owner not in the trade at all knows more than they do. They didn't know not all combos are rated. They were telling me they are compatible but we finally had a connection when I said get me the ARI rating number.

I think my issue really opened their eyes a bit. They had been relying on the supplier for info and they had been writing 16-SEER on their UARL systems but with the tax credit issues now they are going to write the actual ARI test results to avoid confusion and potential legal issues.

On the plus side they said whatever it takes to make me happy and they are going the extra mile. The installers did a nice looking job but i will wait to post pics until I get my new coil...hopefully on Friday. I feel better knowing that they did not know any better and that it wasn't an effort to stick it to me with a cheaper piece of equipment.

Thanks again, next time I am in Indy I owe you a cold one from The Ram. Spent too much time out on East Michigan St when I have been there....downtown is much better!

If you ain't here by August, I'm coming up there for a wedding and may have to collect on that beer

Do you think the install company saw that homeowner comming??

Loonie, that's a deal!