Need Manula for Heatmaster CH3T-24/30LP

Working with a guy in Maryland and he has a ventfree logset and it is sooting up his whole house, it is a Propane unit and has embers and vemiculite on the front burner tube. The unit is at lest 10 years old or more and I didn,t think ventfree units had embers that far back.

I have not found the manual, but I did find this info. The CH series "Choice Highland Oak" is a vented unit. That would explain the embers, vermiculite and sooting of the house.

http://www.heatmasterlogs.com/HTML/highland.html

I had a customer that complained of the living room sooting with their Rasmussen "ventfree" gas logs. It turned out to be a vented unit!! They had been using it for 8 years with the damper closed. They wondered why they had to change the air filters in that room every 2 weeks and every 3 months in the rest of the home.

Thanks logdoc rob, I will send the info to the client. I knew I could come here and get an answer.

fireplaceguru,
    I have worked with Heatmasters log for a long time and they had a burner that you could put embers on at least 12 years ago. They did not use vermiculite. That vent free had a stainless steel mirror behind the front burner that gave the illusion of a double row of embers. If that mirror is not there it probably is a vented set. That was there only vent free with embers at that time.

Exclamation BPM

Fp guru: I would not agree the Black Particulate Matter (soot as you call it) is from your fireplace. You don't really know until you have the house professionally inspected, tested, and lab samples taken for surface analysis. Without the lab report, you don't even know for sure if it is 'soot', much less a type that could be attributed to the fireplace, much less that it actually was the fireplace. I don't care how much black stuff is stained on the mantel, NEVER agree a fireplace is sooting up a house until you've had a proper inspection and analysis done.

I used to do this work for a major hearth mfr. and now I do it on my own. If interested, I can send you contact info.
    Warmest regards,
    Hearthman

Hearthman makes a good point.

Frankly, if an unvented fireplace is making substantial amounts of soot, it's also making substantial amounts of carbon monoxide and is probably a hazard to operate.

In any case, if the owner does have the manual for the equipment and follow all the warnings faithfully, he's a fool who's risking the lives of the family.

And it's quite common for candles used in homes to cause sooting problems on walls and such.