Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sacrificial Lamb

Sotomayor will never be confirmed. The President knows this. Who is he really looking at?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

This woman is a terrible pick I grant you but how do you fiqure she will not be approved. Obama has control and the Republicans do not have the numbers to stop it.

She has said that Latina's (Hispanic women) are smarter than white men. This women is a committed liberal, and a not that bright jurist she is also a racist.

Dave’s original thought about whom OB really wants, my thoughts Janet Napolitano. Sotomayor is OB's gift to the Hispanic community to shore up the 2012 election because he is going to lose most of the white moderate vote he picked up this time.

Hmm. Just very little research on this lady:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/...ume/index.html
    seems her decisions haven't been widely agreed upon by the Supreme Court.

by the way, the quote about being smarter...
    ...I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

This article also notes that it took more than a year for confirmation to her current seat.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

It was a historic pick

I'm beginning to agree with that.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    She has said that Latina's (Hispanic women) are smarter than white men. This women is a committed liberal, and a not that bright jurist she is also a racist.

Dave’s original thought about whom OB really wants, my thoughts Janet Napolitano. Sotomayor is OB's gift to the Hispanic community to shore up the 2012 election because he is going to lose most of the white moderate vote he picked up this time.
    ALL homely women are smarter than the dudes around them. The world we live in forces that. It has nothing to do with her knowledge of menudo. It's a sad sexist statement I know, but it's true nonetheless.

The real problem is you're probably right about Janet.... so the question is which do we want? Of the two, I beleive Mrs. Napolitano to be the more dangerous.

I'm NOT sure I agree with you about the White vote. The President is a very eloquent orator, and that, apparently, is really all that matters to most of the White voters. Another sad but true statement.

Is there anyone else in the Batter's Box?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

I certainly don't think the President is an eloquent orator. I do believe that he has mesmerized some folks and guilted some others. I, for one, cringe when he speaks. I've already grown totally tired of the long sssssss's, the halting cadence and the overall disconnection of his speeches. But, that's when I'm awake. Perhaps if I'd fallen into the stupor that others have I'd be under the spell as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    I certainly don't think the President is an eloquent orator. I do believe that he has mesmerized some folks and guilted some others. I, for one, cringe when he speaks. I've already grown totally tired of the long sssssss's, the halting cadence and the overall disconnection of his speeches. But, that's when I'm awake. Perhaps if I'd fallen into the stupor that others have I'd be under the spell as well.
    I agree it drives me nuts when he speaks, worse than "W". Dick Cheney is a great speaker and amazingly intelligent.

I do not really think that it makes much difference who OB picks because they are replacing a liberal that voted in lock step with the other liberals. The only downside here is she may be harder on business than Souter was.
    Now a problem occurs when or if one of the conservative justice’s has to resign for some reason. It is also a problem if another of the liberal justice’s is replaced, if he can stack the liberal side with young judges it will extend the near deadlock for several more decades.

As to the white vote there is a committed liberal white block that will always vote liberal, the black vote is 90% committed liberal and the Hispanic vote is better than 60% liberal committed. The Jewish vote is part of the committed white liberal vote; the Muslim vote is more conservative but is really not relevant in terms of percentage points, the same is true of Asian and Indi/Pak. These voters can be significant in local elections but not statewide or national elections.

This only leaves about 40% of the Hispanic vote up for grabs and about 40% of the white vote up for grabs. When you consider how few people actually vote we are only talking about 12-15 million votes to battle over; if you can grab off 3 or 4 million with a Hispanic judge you shrink that number of voters you need to target with campaign dollars. Look at how targeted elections have gotten some states do not even get presidential campaigning it is not worth their dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post

Mr. Reb77 must be incredibly proud!

You're one of a very few who've figured out how to speak the truth without being rude. A trick I'm still trying to learn.

The President is a mixed race man that does not publicly speak in ebonics and that somehow equals eloquence to caucasians. And, as we've learned, eloquence is all that matters.

What lemmings we've become.

she's got the job, who gona stop her??

repubs could fillibuster.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast