+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An old side job

Post Likes

An old side job

Cleaning up an external hard drive and found these scans from the past. Good times for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    what is that?

Post Likes
    Nice scuppers there...

Are the copper pieces spitters?

Did you weld the copper pieces or is the solder joint nicely hidden inside?

Post Likes
    Well , it's actually 2 different jobs...

The brown copper pieces are actually an arrangement of water collectors that are connected by " gutters " ending up at a wash sink. I made the sink as well but photos are buried in a box somewhere . There are some external solder joints but the lighting in the photo and crap scanner make them almost invisible.

The silver pieces are actually lead coated copper , not galvanized. They are non-functional decorations that fit over some downspouts for some embassy ( can't remember ) somewhere in N.W. Washington , DC.

I did the pattern layouts and forming and my partner on these jobs did the final assembly. He's an " Artisan " type guy who is just great with metal...it was a blast working with him.

I haven't touched any flat metal for a long time...this stuff was done in the late 1980's. Plasma arc cutting machines and getting married put an end to my sheet metal shop career , lol. But man I really did enjoy layout and fabrication of the more complicated items.

Post Likes
    Nice work.
    The sheet metal 'artisan' is becoming an endangered species.
    I'm sure plasma cutters, computer programs, etc., are great things, but some of us still like to do things the 'old fashioned' way.
    But....there is no money in it.

Post Likes
    nice work...

Post Likes
    Wow. I need to learn some tricks from you.

Post Likes
    Awe heck...thanks for the compliments. I'm just a guy who read some books . The real credit goes to my partner I think...though he may say the same about me.

The fluted end of the gutter pieces was developed similar to a round elbow ( parallel line development ) from a plan view and th curve plotted against the stretch out of the true length. the top involved some " triangulation " true length.

The water supply pieces were " radial line development " and breaking half way...except for one which fits on the corner.

All of this stuff was drafted on white paper before I ever went to the metal ( we had to submit a cardboard full scale model of the gutter pieces ). If you want to do this type of stuff ...get a cheap drafting table and drawing tools to start. I had a few neat old machines to work with (an elbow edge lock and some others ). I never had the Niagra stake table that I dreamed of...and other obsolete and wonderful stuff ( notice the home made stake in one photo , lol ).

And if I can help in any way , p.m. me or whatever...I'll share anything I know about this stuff. I ran across a couple of duct pics from the past and scanned them in....they seemed important to me at one time I guess , lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    That is art, very gifted.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Nice!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in