Novel Way to increase effeciency of portable Air conditioner Tell me what y

Ok HVAC engineers here is a good one. I am pretty familiar with the basics physics of a air conditioner. I had a novel idea for my dual hose air conditioner to greatly increase the effeciency of the unit. This may not work in extremly high temperature and humidity but I live in Utah and it only gets hot, not humid. I want to hook up a 4" inline duct fan to incease the flow along the condenser hopefully cooling them off more than the unit can do itself. I am thinking that pushing air into the intake hose should be better than pulling air from the exhaust. Tell me what you think. I cannot forsee any problems with the portable ac unit and an inline fan uses very little power.

This may be a cheap 15 dollar way to make the portable ac unit work as effeciently as a window one and since the fan will be outside there should be little increase the the noise.

anybody?? topping

I use large fans to pull more air through the evaporator, & move the air through the entire 1st floor rooms, it greatly increased the area that a little Half-Ton window unit will cool, perfectly.
    I have a page on the Net on it.

I wouldn't speculate on your situation. - Darrell

If you simply increase ariflow over the condenser b adding a fan, ultimately you may gain a very small amount of capacity, but at the cost of using ore electricity. Remember, A/C promarily transfer heat through phase change of the refrigerant. All the condenser needs to do it remove enough heat from the hot vapor that was compressed by the compressor.

Increased airflow over hte evaporator however, can increase capacity to a point. It may however reduce the overall system efficinecy in the process since the added capacity may be less than the added electricity to get it.

I'm not sure however what a "2 hose" system is. Is this an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler)? If so, then more airflow may increase capacity and possibly effciency, to a point...eventually you'll need more water surface area.

Don't forget, the 4" duct fan uses electricity. Usually around 80-150Watts depending on it's size. Overall, I suspect you'll se diminishing returns, meaning the added capacity will be at a lower COP. I you could get more efficiency with a larger fan, the engineers that designed your unit would have used one. Although power consumption may have been a limiting factor. A unit that uses a standard 115VAC outlet, is limited practically to around 10 Amps or 1200 Watts.