Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Infinity series

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Do you realize that low energy cost is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_freak View Post
    [B]...

I beg your pardon?? Are you serious?? I only wonder how many people here think like you.
    beenthere is absolutely correct. Have you ever noticed what happened to energy efficiency and alternatives development after the 1970's oil embargo followed by the price of oil dropping drastically? Everybody figured, what the heck, that was just a blip and all kinds of innovation and development just dried up.

We are where we are today in great part because of that fickle energy policy and consumer apathy. We could have nuclear plants producing enormous amounts of electricity if we had taken the message as did France and Japan. Likewise, we could have developed our own energy resources more effectively and concentrated on reducing our oil dependence in those wasted 30+ years.

The current economic downturn and lower NG and oil prices could put us in the very same complacent state where we rationalize those high prices as merely another "blip" and they fade from memory. Higher prices which we all hate are the medicine we need to keep the coming crisis fixed in our memories every day. Why do you think more efficient diesel vehicles are the majority in Europe? It's not because the price of petrol is low!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You don't think Iceland's geothermo was driven because they have cheap fuel and a cheap way to get it do you.

Beenthere, Iceland is a special case since their economy almost collapsed in the current economy. It it also true that they have the geothermal resources and they have been looking at harvesting them for years. Now they hope that excessive electricity sales (to Europe, I believe) will help save their economy.

By the way, do you know who the largest geothermal user in the world is? It's the US! At least if I can believe the article I just read in the last week on geothermal, Iceland and the other world users.

Iceland sits on a very large geo resourse.

But, if oil was cheaper, they wouldn't have invested all that money on the geo wells and power plants.

I'm waiting for another 50 years. For when they decide geothermo is harming the world.
    By cooling it too quickly.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'm waiting for another 50 years. For when they decide geothermo is harming the world.
    By cooling it too quickly.
    Or Iceland pokes a hole into the earth's mantle which they are approaching over 2 miles down and which threatens their drilling apparatus. Just think of all that uncontrolled heat pouring out of that uncappable hole

Yep.

Next thing you know, someone will have magma flowing uncontrollably from a well.
    And vaporize all the water near them.

And we'll have global steaming.
    Contractor locator map

Ok, I give up and for all of you who consider "high energy" prices are good for us in a long run and who do not get that it was all artificial manipulation, read up on this http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...bble_machine/2

Which still doesn't prove that low prices would stimulate more advancement in alternative energy.

Low prices are not good. It just helps to use more fuel/oil quicker.
    Does nothing to promote conservation.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by energy_freak View Post
    Ok, I give up and for all of you who consider "high energy" prices are good for us in a long run and who do not get that it was all artificial manipulation, read up on this http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...bble_machine/2
    Energy freak, you can look for conspiracy theories for every thing. It's just a plain fact that low prices take the resolve out of addressing the real problem. Complacency sets in. Solutions are abandoned. You never did say if you remember the 1970's oil crisis. Possibly, if you didn't live through it, you never learned the lesson - 35 years down the drain on finding solutions. Can you imagine what we could have accomplished if if we weren't think with our wallet, about what we have today, tomorrow be damned?

Look for solutions! Quit wasting your time on blame!

What was the original question?

Something about an Infinity heat pump.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456