Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Infinity series

Infinity series

Anybody knows if any of their units have the heat pump option for certain outside temperatures range (i.e. when it is 40 and above, use heat pump rather than gas)?
    Are there any intelligent controllers supplied with those units which will calculate real time (based on electricity / gas unit cost) more economical route?

Energy freak,

The Infinity systems are installed in dual fuel applications all the time. I believe the Infinity control can intelligently determine whether to use gas/heat based on recovery times, outdoor temp, etc.

Dual fuel systems can be set up with other brands as well. It's in the controls, not the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Energy freak,

The Infinity systems are installed in dual fuel applications all the time. I believe the Infinity control can intelligently determine whether to use gas/heat based on recovery times, outdoor temp, etc.

Dual fuel systems can be set up with other brands as well. It's in the controls, not the equipment.
    Wow,.. thanks a lot. Did not expect the answer so quickly. Are u a contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by energy_freak View Post
    Wow,.. thanks a lot. Did not expect the answer so quickly. Are u a contractor?
    I am not a contractor, but being on these forums you will learn a lot about various system types. Some members are very well versed with the Infinity system. I don't know all the specifics with how it operates. So if you have more questions about the Infinity system I'm sure they can be answered.

The Infinity control can not base when to switch over by energy cost.
    It can do it by temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The Infinity control can not base when to switch over by energy cost.
    It can do it by temp.
    Thanks, so is there a software where you can plug in relevant data (i.e. both units specs, energy cost and other data) to determine what unit to run?

Not that I'm aware of.

There are some that make it easier then others to manually change it.

There may be some web based stats that can do what you want.
    Of course, they could cost more then you will save.
    Contractor locator map

Not that I'm aware of.

There are some that make it easier then others to manually change it.

There may be some web based stats that can do what you want.
    Of course, they could cost more then you will save.
    I am sorry but I do not get it. This does not make any sense, - if the objective of the high end units to save money how then that such obvious and integral option is not part of the “system intelligence”?

Not to be offensive to anybody.

But, the average person doesn't know how much they pay for electic per KWH.
    I'd guess 80% don't know how to figure it out.

So its a feature that would be seldom used. And make the stats more expensive yet.
    Causing fewer of them to be sold.
    Contractor locator map

Not to be offensive to anybody.

But, the average person doesn't know how much they pay for electic per KWH.
    I'd guess 80% don't know how to figure it out.

So its a feature that would be seldom used. And make the stats more expensive yet.
    Causing fewer of them to be sold.
    With all due respect, I strongly disagree. First of all these systems are not for Wal-Mart or K-Mat / Sears shoppers (again, no offenses are intended or implied) and usually targeted market is pretty savvy both financially and education wise. Secondly, this option could have been designed and available but installed only when customer request it. And finally to implement that in controllers nowadays is not that hard. I would agree with you that 5-10 years it would have been a challenge but definitely not now. Also, considering tough energy market this option would be a huge benefit rather than a liability.

How long does it take you to figure out what your electric rate will be next month?
    Contractor locator map

How long does it take you to figure out what your electric rate will be next month?
    Ok, in our case it is very easy, though I am not sure how other electric utilities bill their customers. We have 2 tier rates (summer and winter). My point is that it is much more difficult to do this outside of the box because system designers have all performance data at their hands and user should be able to plug in kw/h and therm / btu cost and system should do the rest. This is not a difficult algorithm, trust me and it should have been implemented for top of the line residential systems.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_freak View Post
    Ok, in our case it is very easy, though I am not sure how other electric utilities bill their customers. We have 2 tier rates (summer and winter). My point is that it is much more difficult to do this outside of the box because system designers have all performance data at their hands and user should be able to plug in kw/h and therm / btu cost and system should do the rest. This is not a difficult algorithm, trust me and it should have been implemented for top of the line residential systems.
    Hey EF, I was thinking about your post and I wonder what the boys up in Syracuse (Carrier/UTI) would have to say about that so I forwarded a copy of your posts to one of the design engineers that I corospond with from time to time. Ill post the jist of his response here on this thread. He will probably get back to me tues or wed.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast