Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR

NASCAR

So.....what's next?

Fiats? Volkswagens? Minis? Kias? How do we keep the sport alive with only one American auto maker left standing? Suddenly "drifters" might get sponsors. Or all Ford teams?

But maybe that's not all that farfetched..... Somebody needs to best Carrol Shelby at building Fords.... might as well be at the races?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

People are still going to go to the races anyways. They are there to see the crashes. As far as the cars go, whats is on the track now is so far away from what you buy from the manufacturer it doesnt really matter anymore.

with how the rules and everything is set..is there truly a "Ford" "Chevy" or "Dodge" out there. A few years ago i remember the only thing stock about them was the deck lid..i think now that rule is now gone. Am I right..not one stock piece on there? If its all special built the only thing Ford or Chevy about them is the emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    with how the rules and everything is set..is there truly a "Ford" "Chevy" or "Dodge" out there. A few years ago i remember the only thing stock about them was the deck lid..i think now that rule is now gone. Am I right..not one stock piece on there? If its all special built the only thing Ford or Chevy about them is the emblem.
    one of the main requirements is that V-8 engines must be built in the States. Toyota meets that requirement. I believe the V-8 will soon be extinct and race cars will be powered by v-6 or I-6's

It burns my onion to see a Toyota on those tracks..............it just isn't right!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    It burns my onion to see a Toyota on those tracks..............it just isn't right!
    Its a global economy now. Toyota makes v-8 's in San Antonio or south Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Its a global economy now. Toyota makes v-8 's in San Antonio or south Alabama

I am well aware of that and understand it! I just don't accept it!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I am well aware of that and understand it! I just don't accept it!
    I understand, my skin crawls everytime a chevy wins a race.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I understand, my skin crawls everytime a chevy wins a race.

Amen brother....... (unless Mark Martin is driving it) I still don't like it, but if Mark wins it's accaptable....now if he went to Toyota.......
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

I do not have a problem with Toyota being in NASCAR because they build a great many of their cars in the US and mostly in the South.

My skin also crawls when a chevy wins even though I like a few of the chevy drivers.

I do miss the old days when the cars had to match the street version as far as body components, look at the great cars we got from that. Cars like the Plymouth Superbird and the Dodge Daytona and the Ford Talladega. I understand to a point the need for the COT for safeties sake and really today what difference is there between body styles on the street. It is not like today's cars are all that distinctive.

When I was a kid I could tell you almost every car from way off by the tail or headlights. I mean there was no chance you would mistake a Torino for a Monte Carlo or a Charger.

At least the engines are from the actual manufacturer even if they are not stock blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    At least the engines are from the actual manufacturer even if they are not stock blocks.
    its just the block made by them right? I can see that soon changing also..custom blocks. soon the only thing different about the 3 will be the sticker shape

The blocks yes and the heads but also many other parts as well depending on the builder. Each of their different manufacturers provides a great deal of technical help in building and developing the engines. Ford just introduced a new engine last year and Dodge is bringing the new R6 engine online, Penske has been running it all year and Petty will debut theirs next week at Dover.

Jack Rousch and others thought that Toyota would bring so much to the table that no one else could compete but that has not happened; Kyle not withstanding that kid could drive a Volkswagen to the front.

I also do not believe that NASCAR will ever do away with the engine blocks being built by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

When I was a kid I could tell you almost every car from way off by the tail or headlights. I mean there was no chance you would mistake a Torino for a Monte Carlo or a Charger.
    Isn't that the truth.........I was just telling my daughter that the other day when a 66 GTO was coming at us from a distance!

She laughed at me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast