Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going with a Trane but I have lots of Questions - DFW area

Hello all,

I am new here but I have been trolling for a couple of weeks. The information on this board is amazing and I thank you all for your answers. I hope you can help me with a few of my questions as well.

I am completely replacing my downstairs Lennox 5 ton gas furnace unit with:

Trane XL20i 4TTZ0060A100A
    Trane XC80 TUD2C100ACV5K
    Coil 4TXCC008CC3
    Thermostat TCONT900

This will be with R410a and I want to purchase the extended parts and labor warranty for a total of $ tax included.

My questions:
    1) Do I need the extended warranty?
    2) The Clean Effects Option can be added but I have not heard good things. Should I add it?
    3) This is a cased coil and therefore the SEER rating goes down to 16.75. Should I be concerned about this reduction and push for a slab coil?
    4) Is this a good deal?
    5) I am told this will not get any tax credits, is this true?

Thanks for any and all answers you can give me.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-22-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Removed price

better remove your pricing or a mod will do it for you. clean effects is well worth the money. i have never had a customer say they regret having one installed.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

A. No rices in post.
    B. Whats the EER.
    C. Extended warranty is worth it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am not sure on the EER. I was not given that number. How do I find it?

You can go to the AHRI site, and enter your model numbers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You can go to the AHRI site, and enter your model numbers.
    Or wait for me to do it.

The system does not qualify for the tax credit, because the EER is 11. Minimum is 13.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Or wait for me to do it.

The system does not qualify for the tax credit, because the EER is 11. Minimum is 13.
    Thanks for you help.

Can anyone comment on this system in general? Is this a good one? It is overkill? The company installing this has no complaints and an A+ rating with BBB. The 10 year warranty on parts and labor will make this system trouble free. I thought about going with a cheaper brand but I think Trane makes a quality product and it's worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieK View Post
    Thanks for you help.

Can anyone comment on this system in general? Is this a good one? It is overkill? The company installing this has no complaints and an A+ rating with BBB. The 10 year warranty on parts and labor will make this system trouble free. I thought about going with a cheaper brand but I think Trane makes a quality product and it's worth the money.
    Should be a great system, if installed properly (and it seems you have confidence in the company already).

One other thing. Did this company inspect your ductwork and suggest any potential changes (i.e., more returns, larger ducts in some areas, etc.)? Oftentimes ductwork systems are poorly designed and inadequately sized, particularly for 5 ton systems. This is a very important aspect of the system. It is possible no changes are needed and the previous ductwork system was in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Should be a great system, if installed properly (and it seems you have confidence in the company already).

One other thing. Did this company inspect your ductwork and suggest any potential changes (i.e., more returns, larger ducts in some areas, etc.)? Oftentimes ductwork systems are poorly designed and inadequately sized, particularly for 5 ton systems. This is a very important aspect of the system. It is possible no changes are needed and the previous ductwork system was in good condition.
    I forgot to mention this. I have 4 "box" transitions that they would like to change to a "Y" transition. The duct work was OK other than this. I was not sure if I want to change them as this is an added cost. Will this really help with airflow?

Freddie

why not check the cost if any to upgrade to the 95% eff communicating mdl furnace? I would not want to leave the tax credit lying on the table.

I also would check the price on a comparable Infinity system.

IMO

Question Life Cycle Costs ?

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieK View Post
    Thanks for you help.

Can anyone comment on this system in general? Is this a good one? It is overkill? ... The 10 year warranty on parts and labor will make this system trouble free. I thought about going with a cheaper brand but I think Trane makes a quality product and it's worth the money.
    I would investigate a heat pump for your area. Given the electric and gas rates (?) and your energy use a hybrid system (heat pump with gas) may be a "toss -up" on benefits based on the 'current' total life cycle costs.
    I am not aware of the electric rates for DFW.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

BTW, Ryan,

I went to the AHRI site and typed in my model numbers but never could get the EER rating to come up. I even used wildcards in my description but I got nothing. Is there a trick to it?

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I would investigate a heat pump for your area. Given the electric and gas rates (?) and your energy use a hybrid system (heat pump with gas) may be a "toss -up" on benefits based on the 'current' total life cycle costs.
    I am not aware of the electric rates for DFW.
    Rates are variable here with deregulation. The heat pump will not really save much as we only need heat for about 4 months and it's not that very cold at that.

I did check into the 95% unit and it was a wash with the credit. Same cost but I get the credit so it's free. I would not save that much with gas so I would rather get the credit with other things like more insulation and a radiant barrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast