Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Getting AAM spec'd is pretty much the same procedure as any other control line. You need to do the lunch and learn's with the engineers and show them the products. AAM has been around for 30 years and was one of the first in the industry with DDC controls for HVAC. The controllers are solid, very reliable, and extremely flexible in their application. AAM does not have the same notoriety as a Johnson or Honeywell but performs equally well. The big plus is dealing with the factory. They are very personable and easy to work with. You are not another number with them.

As for the lab control line, they have recently released a BACnet MS/TP version of their fume hood controller which includes a really nice color touch screen display for indication and user interface. The firmware in the controller has been updated to be able to do both direct face velocity measurement as well as sash position method (Phoenix) and works very well. They have also worked on the pricing of the dampers and other components associated with fume hood control. You can blow Phoenix out of the water in pricing if you can get the engineers to go with the direct measurement of face velocity and use AAM's air valves versus using venturi air valves and Phoenix.

Definitely worth consideration.

As with any line there are pros and cons. One thing that is important to note here is the work with BACnet that AAM is currently doing. They now have a multitude of controllers that are BTL listed. In reference to their GPC line, flexibility is the reason behind the programming conundrum. Their engineers had a hard time getting out of their own heads and realizing that not all of us are that type of programmer. Recently there has been a shift in that mentality and some of the updates that have been made to their product line have changed the difficulties some have had. Both of their commissioning environments are now IP enabled. Their BACnet (NB-PRO) has the capability to get to their controllers through their Area Controller Solution (AspectFT-Matrix), through their Router (Matrix-BBO), or through a third party routing device. Their PUP line can be reached via IP through their AspectFT-Matrix with their Solo-Pro commissioning software. Both still retain the ability to communicate serially as well. One other note worthy thing is the NB-GPC will be BTL certified soon. Go to www.bacnetinternational.com to see the list of BACnet products they have as well as what is certified. It will not be long before their entire BACnet line is certified.

In reference to DaveM's comment about changing all of the time... the Sage is a product that has been around for over 15 years, and the reason Tridium came into the picture was as a result of a need to supply their customers with a web-enabled front-end at that time. the market was just plain demanding it. So, they came out with their version of the NiagaraAX based device: Integra.

As far as support goes, American Auto-Matrix does not blindly stop supporting their lines. To this day there are sights running Stars that are over 25 years old (an actual con to some as the controllers do not break) and AAM still supports these devices through their dealers. All of their controllers that they can still get parts for are purchasable, and they have no plans on stopping support of their Integra line although they have come out with their own open web-enabled solution: AspectFT. In regards to whether they will support their AspectFT line... that is a no brainer, they have been developing the product for years and spent a ton of money in R&D. They even are in the middle of developing a driver to communicate directly to their Sage line to allow for their customers to integrate into sites without the need to rip out the area controllers. In addition they have paid careful attention to making sure their devices all work well together. One of their key tenants is not designing in obsolescence and maintaining backwards compatibility whenever possible.

In regards to expense, there is one thing to note: AAM does not charge for deploying the PUP and BACnet drivers on their AspectFT line. You buy the driver once and deploy it as many times as you want. And trust me when I say their drivers are inexpensive. The drivers are actually licensed to their Aspect Studio commissioning software. You just need a licensed copy and you can design as many jobs as you want with the driver and never pay any additional fees. As AAM remains an American manufacturer and does not manufacture products off shore, there is a slight amount of expense there, but in this case you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by MooreHVAC; 08-07-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks for the explanation. However, don't you want to change all the "they" to something like "us", "we" and "our"?

Nothing better than being straight forward on the board here.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. However, don't you want to change all the "they" to something like "us", "we" and "our"?

Nothing better than being straight forward on the board here.
    I see your point there but AAM is already present on this board and I doubt someone there would create a new user account just to post a big sales pitch on their goods. I'm not saying it is impossible though

One thing that was not mentioned (or i missed it since i did not read the entire post) is that a driver is in testing to migrate Sage data to the Matrix controller. That will be a nice addition to freshen up older sites and get them on the web.

Hi MCP, I think your response is Rocky regarding the sales pitch.

I'm not sure i know what you mean. Is Rocky a person or was my response rocky. Either way I don't think I follow what you mean. Maybe I got the wrong meaning from your post?

Rocky Moore is the marketing guy for American Auto-Matrix...just sysint's oblique way to call out another blatant sales pitch...

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Rocky Moore is the marketing guy for American Auto-Matrix...just sysint's oblique way to call out another blatant sales pitch...
    You got to give a guy a chance to come clean on his own Dave.... we should talk. You know I've got some stuff you would be interested in.

So true, so true...I just didn't want MCP to be in suspense so long...

And interestingly, sys, I just now received the e-mail about the new displays...very cool looking stuff.

But I digress from the original post. Sales pitch aside, hopefully smokies and the others got what they needed - like any other DDC manufacturer, AAM is working hard at staying relevant (if not cutting-edge). My preference is for their legacy stuff, because it plays nicely with every one of their front-ends, and is superbly documented (no joke) - the BACnet stuff got off to a very bumpy start, but sounds like things are working much smoother now.

You got me.

Not that I was trying too hard to hide it, but it sure did not take you guys that long to figure it out did it. Lol. You are right about the "us" thing. That would be another way to put it. After I wrote the whole thing I thought about changing it as it was pretty obvious with my user name and eloquent language and all..., but thought it would be fun to see if anyone noticed . Hope I did not offend anyone.

One thing to say, however, is that it was not just a sales pitch. Anytime anyone has a question in regards to what we are doing or where we are going, you can feel free to call me (724-733-2000), or post something. There is no reason for me to be dishonest in what we are doing. The products will speak for themselves.

-Rocky
    Last edited by MooreHVAC; 08-12-2009 at 07:22 PM.

AutoMatrix facility

Does anyone know about this product?

New management level controller/front end. Replacement for Tridium JACE/Supervisor.

Facility

Thanks for responding! What has been your experience with it? We have it running our building and it has been a real problem so far.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast