Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Help Me!! Trane v. Coleman??

Hi. Looking for some expert guidance. I am replacing my split system furnace (gas) and AC. Live in a split level home and suffer from lack of heat and AC "upstairs" and too much hot/cold downstairs (seems to be common problem in splits). I've narrowed it down to the following systems:
    Trane XC-95 (80K BTUs) & XL-16i (3 ton) v. Coleman Echelon 9.M & 8T.

Quoted the following prices (I live in NJ): Trane $ (by 2 dealers) v. Coleman $ (by 2 dealers). Understand I can get $1,500 tax credit for both (gonna still be out $30-40K on the Obama stimulus package!!!) and about $450 rebate from my utility. In addition, if I go with Coleman I can get a $1,700 rebate.

One Trane dealer told me that Coleman is "cheap" and Trane is higher quality (when I pushed him and cited to some of what I'd learned about Coleman he indicated he didn't have time to research all of his competitors' products because there were too many out there--guess that speaks volumes). However, according to my research, Coleman = York (Johnson Controls) and their high efficiency units have received some type of recognition for innovation and are recommended by some HVAC folks who use both. In addition, the Coleman furnace is a "modulating" furnace which, I've been told is better than a variable speed staged unit (like the Trane) for a split level home (it will keep steady heat at low level so I'll have heat longer & still be efficient). Any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the Coleman because it's even more efficient than the Trane and, after the rebate, will be about $ less. Is it true that the Coleman products are identical to York just have a different tag on them? In addition, many of you HVAC pros out there seem to indicate that the brands are all solid (give or take) and that it's really the install that makes or breaks the system).

Any expert guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!!! For some reason, it's impossible to find any objective ratings (Consumer Reports won't rate 'em, other than repair rate and the brands vary between 13-16% which is negligible--they say there are too many variables to consider other ratings). Also, it's impossible to find actual pricing information (amazing in this day and age with the net--I thought it would be like researching a car--"invoice prices" and retail prices would be available--scary for consumers who are about to shell out a big chunk of change!!). Thanks!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-21-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Removed prices

Deleted the prices in your post.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.

Yes, Coleman is the same as York.
    Best to steer clear of brand bashers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I dont know much about the colemen product but trane make a pretty good unit.

I don't know about the Coleman, but the Trane is a communicating unit and has 3 stages. The communicting system allow greater control of fan speed for dehumidification, and simplifies the iwring and installation. The modulating is still better, but I doubt you'd notice a big difference. To really solve you uneven temperatures, you probably need to make the upstairs a seperate zone.

The Coleman mod is 65 steps of modulation.
    At 50% mod it will have a slower CFM then the Trane when the Trane Jumps from 40% in first stage to 65% in second stage, when only 50 capacity is needed.

Can use the IAQ on the Coleman mod for blower control.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-21-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The Coleman mod is 65 steps of midulation.
    Midulation = modulation for "little people".

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Midulation = modulation for "little people".
    Or fingers pushing whatever keys they want.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Can use the IAQ on the Coleman mod for blower control.
    I thought the 9.M used a PSC blower and the 9.C used the ECM blower. Can the IAQ still control the blower in the 9.M to dehumidify?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I thought the 9.M used a PSC blower and the 9.C used the ECM blower. Can the IAQ still control the blower in the 9.M to dehumidify?
    While it was probably not 100% by design.
    You can control the blower to dehumidify, with the IAQ.
    The 9M doesn't have a hum terminal. But, there is a way to wire it. to slow the blower.

While pairing an 8T with a 9M isn't something I'd do unless the customer insisted on it.
    It does work pretty good.
    Contractor locator map

beenthere--why wouldn't you pair the 8T and 9M? I thought this is the package that Coleman (and York for their respective models) is selling in order to get the $1,700 rebate. Now, I'm worried!!!!

The 9M lacks the variable speed blower which the 9C has.

Ryan--thanks for that info. Wondering what you think of their products? Gonna be spending a lot of $$, is it a wise investment?

What Ryan siad.

Paired with a 9C is a better idea.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast