Thread: 3 ton ac with 4 ton blower ?

Post Likes

Confused 3 ton ac with 4 ton blower ?

Hi Folks
    I hope someone can advise me if this system sounds right. I have been quoted a ASX18036 with CAPF 4860 C6 and AMV8070 4B furnace(blower). My question is can the 4 ton furnace work at variable speeds with the 3 ton AC unit? No one has done a manual J and I don't know if the 4 ton furnace will be too big for my home. Thanks so much. I've enjoyed reading all the advise from the professionals.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by canyouhelpme View Post
    Hi Folks
    I hope someone can advise me if this system sounds right. I have been quoted a ASX18036 with CAPF 4860 C6 and AMV8070 4B furnace(blower). My question is can the 4 ton furnace work at variable speeds with the 3 ton AC unit? No one has done a manual J and I don't know if the 4 ton furnace will be too big for my home. Thanks so much. I've enjoyed reading all the advise from the professionals.
    That combination of condenser, furnace, and coil is AHRI Reference# 1401995.

36,000 btu cooling (3 tons), 17.5 SEER, 13.2 EER.
    It is rated with a thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) on the indoor coil. The TXV is optional to Goodman. Make sure you get a TXV.

This system qualifies for the 2009 Fed Tax Credit.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    I'm a homeowner and got a "4 ton" furnace and VS blower to go with a smaller AC. The Trane model has settings to be good with AC as small as 2.5 tons, the 4-ton size is really an upper limit. I assume all the other brands can make similar claims. Your AC guy seems to be offering a really good choice, based on its efficiency numbers.

Where I live in S.Texas near Houston, it's hard to get a furnace that is NOT oversized compared to the heating needs. I talked my HVAC pro down from a 5-ton furnace suggestion. Excess heating capacity does not seem to be the problem that oversized AC is.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Post Likes
    thanks for the feedback. I hear what you're saying about heating not really the issue, but since the furnace is acting as the blower I wasn't sure if it might be "too" much being 4 ton. I've already got confirmation that the system qualifies for the tax credit. Now I'm more concerned its right for the job. I believe the salesman said there are 4 speed settings on the AMV8070.
    So my question is 4 ton blower too big for 3 ton ac? Also I have a room with cathedral ceiling 10x12 that has only 27 cfm coming out of a 6 inch vent. I've been assured with this new system and better sealing at the plenum that this will improve the cfm to 50. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Likes
    The blower can be set for the proper amount of airflow for your 3 ton unit. The key is having an installer smart enough to do it

Post Likes

Hmm

I agree thanks baldloonie. any thoughts on my last question:

Also I have a 12x14 room with cathedral ceiling that has only 27 cfm coming out of a 6 inch vent. its a pretty long run from the furnace with no access to the ducts in the basement due to being finished. We weren't sure maybe some of the duct work was crushed. I've been assured with this new system asx16036 and and 8070 furnace and better sealing at the plenum that this will improve the cfm to 50. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Likes
    Won't know til you do it! Nice thing about the variable speed motors is a bit more get up & go behind them. If you ask for 1200 CFM, within reason you get it.

Post Likes
    thanks baldloonie! I feel better now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in