Has anyone ever worked on Commercial Trash Compactors?

i haven't worked on alot of hydraulics, and i want to make sure i am looking at everything before i get this part. I have a compactor that one of my customers has me look at, even though i tell him our company doesn't do this kind of stuff. The compactor tripped the motor overload. When i reset it the amps went up over FLA but then soon dropped back down lower than FLA. The ram stay in the fully retracted state. This is a vertical compactor, so the ram is in the up position. Now every cycle i try it the amps are on the lower end and a code comes up stated pump ran over max time without ram moving. I went down through the troubleshooting guide, and checked pump rotation, pump coupler, made sure hydralic fluid discharges from the pump to the directional valve, checked the fluid level at full retraction, checked the solenoid coils for shorts or open circuits, checked voltages, and checked for hydraulic leaks. 1 year ago i had to add a very small amount of hydrualic fluid which put the level to half a sight glass, it is still at that spot. The last thing the guide wanted me to check was the directional valve. There are push pins on both sides of the valve to manualy swith directions of the ram. I pushed them in with the pump ON and OFF one at a time. Should i push them in at the same time? I also disabled the electric on the solenoids so it wouldnt interfere with my manual operation. In the manual it states if the ram doesn't move in this test it is a hydraulic issue. I am pointing at the valve. Anyone that can give me some more things to check that i might of overlooked i would appreciate it. The valve is expensive and i have heard it is hard to change due to vertical packer pushing hydraulic fluid back out at me. So i just want to be right if i have to go through this.
    J. King

wouldnt the equipment be owned by trash co ? waste mgmt etc ? they have there own service guys for that equipment

Yes usually they are, but in this case this is a McClain compactor owned by the building.
    J. King

Limit switch .