Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil access valve - need adapter?

I might need to add some oil to a copeland EVAB-021E, however where the oil plug on the side should be there is a brass nut with reccessed slotted screw in the center - I could take this out and put in an access valve or is there some kind of adpater for this?.... for quick oil connection?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

doOd, your going to catch heck here..some will think your a diy'r and this is how all of us make a buck, if we help YOU and YOU are a diy'r then were screwing our brethren from, making a buck..

so update your profile letting everyone know your one of us, and the help will pour in..

the answer to your query should be pretty much a simple thing..
    in the mean time DO NOT mess with that fitting..
    Last edited by primmers; 05-19-2009 at 12:36 PM.

The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Both posters prior to me have given you good advice.

If you are a DIYer, DON'T.

If you are a tech, give us a little info about you and we will be more willing to help you.

One question.

Where did the oil GO?

okay, okay, I updated the "about me" profile, is that what you want?
    let me know what I have to do,...because I' not a store manager playing mechanic in the basement...lol

Where did the oil go?

Why does the system require additional oil?

Since refrigeration oil is not a consumable, you should still have a full charge of oil.

IF, and a big IF it is, you need to add oil, I'd install a schraeder and carefully pump oil in. A compressor of that size will not need much.

Either that or remove and dump the compressor, flush the lines and add an OEM oil charge.

By the way, welcome to the forums. We can be a little rough on newbies, but there is a huge amount of information here.

Get you post count up and you can apply for pro membership.

system history

AS to the question where did the oil go?.........I thought of that too..... the case is upstairs and condensing unit is in the basement, the defrost(elec.) works o.k. but I think it's been modified ; oil may still be logging out in the evap though, however if the coil is defrosting then it should be warm enough for oil return ...RIGHT? I didn't notice any unusual slope in the piping or improper traps...there is only 8-10' of pipe between the case and condnensing unit...... there is a suction accumulator and I checked the inlet/outlet to make sure it was installed properly

here's all the details....it's LONG, I KNOW... but any advice, criticism and pointers WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

I recently started this system after sitting dormant for the winter. The prior mechanic was an pretty old guy and he passed away a few months back ( it's a small town so he was almost the only "fridge" guy) so they called our company which is where I walk in to a unit with mirky past. old hussman condensing unit in basement with replaced compressor; the owner told me the old one(compressor) died because of wrong oil or refrigerant or something (he couldn't remember) when he and his old mechanic decided to turn his cooler case in to a freezer. So they installed the new copeland and never started up the system. Before I got hired our foreman was asked to look at it and said he found a leak in the condenser. When I arrived my assignment was to replace the condenser and start the system.

So I weld in new condenser. I vacuum system, and I notice LOTS of bubbles rising in the oil sight glass..........must be refrigerant condensed in the oil... makes sense; during the winter the upstairs case is warmer than compressor in the basement... = migration. Oil level is 7/8 full. For a pressure test I was asked to leave it in a vacuum overnight and check in the morning if we still have a vacuum (with only manifold gauges,not very Accurate but thats all I have to work with -this is mainly an electrical company remember).

In the morning I still have vacuum - good sign - I vacuum system again and notice less bubbles in sight glass **** IN HIND SIGHT it would have been a good idea to wrap a heater around the compressor , but anyway time is money and nobody wants me to fart around without results but I still had lots of questions
    -404A compressor .... was it charged with POE?
    -What really happened to the old one ?
    -WHY does he have a fan cycling control on the condensing unit in the basement when this is an AIR COOLED compressor??????? - I unwired it
    I'm about to start a system thats been revamped and I have to trust someone elses work, and if it blows up I look like the idiot.......GREAT!

I charge sytem and crack suction service valve(no CPR) not to overload compressor.... lots of foaming in sight glass...play with service valve to keep pressure from pulling down too quick but don't want it to high either. As I adjust suction pressure I notice oil level changes and less foaming as I open valve.

So far the case is holding a -15F temp. and low side pressure is 8 psig
    and high side is 195-200 psig
    discharge temp 6" from discharge 152F........liquid line temp 83F.....
    suction line temp at accumulator 44F

present oil level

after running for a couple days the oil sight glass is only 1/8 full
    the tag says ...... should be 3/4
    I think that in the case of burnout from old compressor I should change filter/drier too and remove some oil to acid test it or just seee how dirty it is but ... I was asked not to spend any more time on this system just "let it run" or the customer might complain about the extra hours.... but is the trade off a couple hours vs. risking damage to compressor worth it??

Short cycling will kill a compressor.

A freezer revamped into a cooler will short cycle due to it being oversized.

What is the operating oil level now. Sounds as if it is running pretty well.

One thing is the bleed hole in the accumulator. If plugged, it will cause you grief.

You posted too quick.

CHANGE THE DRIER!!!!!!!!!!

An acid test couldn't hurt.

If it remains low, I'd add a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1701 View Post
    AS to the question where did the oil go?.........I thought of that too..... the case is upstairs and condensing unit is in the basement, the defrost(elec.) works o.k. but I think it's been modified ; oil may still be logging out in the evap though, however if the coil is defrosting then it should be warm enough for oil return ...RIGHT? I didn't notice any unusual slope in the piping or improper traps...there is only 8-10' of pipe between the case and condnensing unit...... there is a suction accumulator and I checked the inlet/outlet to make sure it was installed properly

here's all the details....it's LONG, I KNOW... but any advice, criticism and pointers WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

I recently started this system after sitting dormant for the winter. The prior mechanic was an pretty old guy and he passed away a few months back ( it's a small town so he was almost the only "fridge" guy) so they called our company which is where I walk in to a unit with mirky past. old hussman condensing unit in basement with replaced compressor; the owner told me the old one(compressor) died because of wrong oil or refrigerant or something (he couldn't remember) when he and his old mechanic decided to turn his cooler case in to a freezer. So they installed the new copeland and never started up the system. Before I got hired our foreman was asked to look at it and said he found a leak in the condenser. When I arrived my assignment was to replace the condenser and start the system.

So I weld in new condenser. I vacuum system, and I notice LOTS of bubbles rising in the oil sight glass..........must be refrigerant condensed in the oil... makes sense; during the winter the upstairs case is warmer than compressor in the basement... = migration. Oil level is 7/8 full. For a pressure test I was asked to leave it in a vacuum overnight and check in the morning if we still have a vacuum (with only manifold gauges,not very Accurate but thats all I have to work with -this is mainly an electrical company remember).

In the morning I still have vacuum - good sign - I vacuum system again and notice less bubbles in sight glass **** IN HIND SIGHT it would have been a good idea to wrap a heater around the compressor , but anyway time is money and nobody wants me to fart around without results but I still had lots of questions
    -404A compressor .... was it charged with POE?
    -What really happened to the old one ?
    -WHY does he have a fan cycling control on the condensing unit in the basement when this is an AIR COOLED compressor??????? - I unwired it
    I'm about to start a system thats been revamped and I have to trust someone elses work, and if it blows up I look like the idiot.......GREAT!

I charge sytem and crack suction service valve(no CPR) not to overload compressor.... lots of foaming in sight glass...play with service valve to keep pressure from pulling down too quick but don't want it to high either. As I adjust suction pressure I notice oil level changes and less foaming as I open valve.

So far the case is holding a -15F temp. and low side pressure is 8 psig
    and high side is 195-200 psig
    discharge temp 6" from discharge 152F........liquid line temp 83F.....
    suction line temp at accumulator 44F

When you mention the unit having a fan cycle control, how cold does the basement get? It would explain the fan control but like you said it is an issue on an air cooled compressor. I have seen condensing units located outdoors with fan cycles on them......makes me wonder why the manufacture would do that with an air cooled compressor assuming it was on there from the factory that is.

I wasn't here in the winter, it's a good question though, but I would assume it doesn't get too cold, there are at least three other condensing units in the basement... small ones mind you and other equipment. I don't remember if there was duct work running through but at any rate I'll keep it in mind if there is low head pressure later.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1701 View Post
    I wasn't here in the winter, it's a good question though, but I would assume it doesn't get too cold, there are at least three other condensing units in the basement... small ones mind you and other equipment. I don't remember if there was duct work running through but at any rate I'll keep it in mind if there is low head pressure later.
    Also, keep in mind that a unit with a headmaster should not cycle the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast