Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goodman Air Handler / Filter?

I just had an AEPF42601 handler installed. I had read/warned about the issue with the poorly designed filter rack and yes, it's a PITA removing the filter. The installer will be coming back on tomorrow to install the outdoor unit, so I wanted to do some research before he comes back. Does the filter rack not have a cover for it? The front of the filter is exposed, which seems odd? He placed a 20x22 filter in it, but told me it takes a 21x23, which he didn't have any to place in it. Seems like a customer size as I didn't see any place to get this size. It was recommended to look into a media filter, but based off of the existing duct, it doesn't appear to be a place to add one. Anyone have any tips or recommendations as to what 1" filter they use with their unit?

One tip I can offer is that I found that sliding a putty knife along the top and or bottom as you pull out will help each cardboard support from ripping just as it exits.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I just had an AEPF42601 handler installed. I had read/warned about the issue with the poorly designed filter rack and yes, it's a PITA removing the filter. The installer will be coming back on tomorrow to install the outdoor unit, so I wanted to do some research before he comes back. Does the filter rack not have a cover for it? The front of the filter is exposed, which seems odd? He placed a 20x22 filter in it, but told me it takes a 21x23, which he didn't have any to place in it. Seems like a customer size as I didn't see any place to get this size. It was recommended to look into a media filter, but based off of the existing duct, it doesn't appear to be a place to add one. Anyone have any tips or recommendations as to what 1" filter they use with their unit?

One tip I can offer is that I found that sliding a putty knife along the top and or bottom as you pull out will help each cardboard support from ripping just as it exits.

Thanks,

Mike
    I have a Goodman ARUF374316 air handler.

There is a metal piece, about 1/2" tall and the width of the air handler, that goes across the front and seals the filter. Sounds like you're missing that piece. There are screw holes on either side of the air handler for this cover piece.

I use a 20" x 24" filter. It's a bastard size so I have to buy it on line. NaturalAire Standard pleated filters made by Flanders. MERV 8.

Before the air handler was installed, I saw the poor design of the filter rack. I installed (using automobile body putty as a glue) two 1-inch wide metal banding straps tp provide a smooth 1-piece surface that the filter can slide on.

When changing the filter, I still have to remove one of the sheet metal housing panels to get enough room for the filter to be removed.

My recommendation is to install a separate filter cabinet if you can.

Good luck.

Edit: I read a post once where RoboTech recommended using a small pry bar and opening up the area where the filter rack sits to provide more clearance.
    Last edited by gary_g; 05-18-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added edit

It was recommended to look into a media filter, but based off of the existing duct, it doesn't appear to be a place to add one.
    I am in a similar situation where I do not have enough space for a media filter between the return duct drop and my furnace. I found that Goodman has a "Right angle return media air cleaner" that takes the place of the return boot. It is model number GRAM2000. Perhaps you can find an innovative filter rack to fit your situation. Info on the GRAM2000 is here

post a pic of your set up

this is how i do it...

filter is obviously too big.. but you get the idea.

Below is hopefully a pic if done correctly. I would love to be able to slide it in the return, but the duct before the handler is only 20x10, which apparently is too small to add there. BTW - I but basic, 90 day pleated since allergies aren't really an issue. Thanks for the ideas!

Goodman Filter

You Can not put a standard filter in a goodman air handler Goodman makes a washable filter that slides in the rack, the filter cover is discarded if using Goodman's Filter, The filter makes the seal on the front of the airhandler

Ed

Wow, I guess you guys live somewhere I haven't been yet, First of all there isn't such a thing as a 21x23 filter unless someone makes it for ya, second of all you really shouldnt have half the thing pokeing out of the duct cuz a reg filter dosent fit, what ya need is a filter that fits the return designed for the airflow, whether it's 16x20 or 20x25 or in your case sounds like 20x20 and have them make you an access outside the unit like Tinner shows cept make it not poke out, have them make a slider pannel or some sort of access door where it is sealed inside the duct with no outside airflow. Lots of possibilities including an EAC, or Media, but if done right and without much work a good installer can make it work for ya.

Above is what the finished install looks like. They do make 21x23x1 filters and yes, it would fit just fine. The reason why the 20x22 was sticking out was because you had to be exactly in the center or it would fall off either shelf. I was able to get it all the way back and would have no issues as long as I had that extra inch. The opening on top of the filter to the A-frame is by far smaller than the shelf. My issue is still with no outer seal. I had read about the Goodman washable filter, but can't find it online anywhere, including Goodman's site. There is a screw hole on either side of where the filter is. Seems like a simple piece of strap with some gasket would do the job just fine. Then again, so would duct tape. I don't see the need to try to make space for a separate filter rack as long as the current one gets sealed? Below is a link for 21x23x1 filters.
    Last edited by Stamas; 07-09-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Removed link. Please see rules.

My issue is still with no outer seal. I had read about the Goodman washable filter, but can't find it online anywhere, including Goodman's site. There is a screw hole on either side of where the filter is.
    You are missing the filter cover piece that I described in Post #2.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-GAEPF.pdf

Page 1 shows you the photo of your air handler. You are missing the bottom piece.

The part# for the washable filter for your air handler is FIL 48-61. Page 7.

Take care.

Thanks Gary,
    I feel a little stupid that I missed that in your original post. It would have been hard for most, including myself to add a little sarcasm in any further reply in regards to that. : ) BTW - I found the strap.

Thanks again

Filter

I also had a filter problem - the filter I put in was too small and fell to the bottom. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

duplicate post, deleted.

Where are your condensate drain pipes?

Plus, who is going to insulate the return duct ever?

Below is hopefully a pic if done correctly. I would love to be able to slide it in the return, but the duct before the handler is only 20x10, which apparently is too small to add there. BTW - I but basic, 90 day pleated since allergies aren't really an issue. Thanks for the ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast