Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QUIETEST 3 ton single stage A/C

Hi folks, I have searched endlessly it seems for this information without much luck.

We need to replace our noisy old 3 ton A/C which is located outside our bedroom window and very close to our patio. Unfortunately due to Homeowners Assoc. rules it cannot be moved elsewhere. For us, the noise level is most important.

We have quotes on a 15 SEER Frigidaire and Ruud so far, but other brands fine also.

If ONLY consideration is noise level and price not an issue, which is the quietest single stage 3 ton air conditioner? Are there other sound-deadening methods we can add also?

Thanks for any help.

My vote would be the Lennox XC15. A 3 ton is rated at 66db, that's tough to beat.

I would look at the Maytag 23seer system. Ask your Frigidaire rep about them. All you will hear is air going over the coils.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I would look at the Maytag 23seer system. Ask your Frigidaire rep about them. All you will hear is air going over the coils.
    I have heard they are real quiet. Do you know what kind of db they are achieving? I couldn't find anything on the net.

fill out your profile.

Thanks for the information, I just visited their websites. Interesting that both the Lennox XC15 site and the Maytag claim they are the quietest in the industry!

The Maytag 23 SEER sounds like it is the same as the Frigidaire 23 SEER unit except stainless steel cabinet and 12 yr warranty, which I guess means more $$$.

I don't understand the "rotary drive compressor" on these units - is it 2-stage? Is it different that the scroll compressor?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillesf1 View Post
    Thanks for the information, I just visited their websites. Interesting that both the Lennox XC15 site and the Maytag claim they are the quietest in the industry!

The Maytag 23 SEER sounds like it is the same as the Frigidaire 23 SEER unit except stainless steel cabinet and 12 yr warranty, which I guess means more $$$.

I don't understand the "rotary drive compressor" on these units - is it 2-stage? Is it different that the scroll compressor?

Thanks again.
    Im not sure if its exactly the same im a Westinghouse dealer and i really believe in their product.
    These compressors are for all intents and purposes variable speed dc driven systems.
    Maytag, Westinghouse,Frigidaire are all Nordyne products.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

The Westinghouse (Nordyne) 23 SEER is definitely the quietest. A single stage option would be the Bryant 538A, which is a very nice unit and operates at 66 decibles. http://www.bryant.com/products/achea..._compact.shtml
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

trane XL15i!!!

nothing is quiter in real life. on paper, maybe. but in real life
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

If the refrigerant lines run in the wall thats what you are hearing.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

The Carrier model is 38 HDR. The 3 ton is 68 DBA and 2 ton is 66 DBA sound ratings are sometimes rated at different perimeters, but that is equal to XC15 and XL15 maybe alittle louder. But then again it does depend on how well it is installed and evacuted and charged/ I love putting them units in them houses that are so close together. Neighbors usually come over and say is that the new style. I always answer Nope.
    Do it right the first time.

Thanks everyone. We had the Lennox dealer come out today - he also installs Rheem. He wasn't too familiar with Frigidaire, had very good things to say about Rheem, but says he has installed lots of the Lennox XC15, likes them and thinks they are definitely quieter than other single stage units he has heard.

Price and warranty seem competitive. He was also the most impressive dealer in terms of providing information, answering questions, and after-sales service commitments. Also he's a local company with 30 years in the community. So we are going for the Lennox.

Thanks again for your help.

Just to follow-up on this, the Lennox was installed today without any problems and it is VERY quiet, but also very big. My wife was home alone and she kept asking them if they were sure it was the unit we ordered. After it was installed, she could not hear it running so she had to go outside to make sure it was on.

In the bedroom it is barely noticeable and outside you have to get quite close to hear anything significant. Just what we wanted, so we are happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast