Thread: Amana vs Trane?

Amana vs Trane?

Hello,
    I have perused these forums and narrowed down my decision to one of two companies. Can you please help with *recent* opinions of Trane vs Amana?

It seems a lot of people are bias to Trane, but some also feel it can be overpriced for the advertising. Goodman/Amana doesn't seem to be popular historically, but recently maybe has gotten better and has upped their warranty. I believe I have everything between these two quotes almost exactly the same, other than the "name brand".

Both of my installers are long standing, A+ BBB rated companies, that are well referred. They even had the same suggested duct modifications.

I need to replace my 20 year old furnace, A/C, coil, entire system. Both the Trane and Amana are 2-stage heat, 2-stage Puron A/C, with variable speed furnace, 3 ton size, and dehumidification thermostat.

Trane XL16i 16 seer A/C and XC 80% variable speed furnace
    Amana EverRest 2 stage variable speed furnace and EverRest 18 seer A/C

Any good opinions to pay $ more for Trane? I'm leaning towards Amana for the warranty.

Thanks!
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-16-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Removed price

Does the Amana use the VisionPRO IAQ thermostat similar to the TCONT900 thermostat that communicates with the Trane system components and does dehumidification? Both the TCONT900 and IAQ can be set up to control blower speed to dehumidify more effectively--a good thing to have in ATL.

Have you looked into systems that qualify for the federal $1500 tax credit?

yes to both. 16 seer and 18 seer A/C qualify for tax credit.

And as monetioned, both have dehumidification thermostat.

"Dehumidification thermostat" isn't good enough, because not all thermostats dehumidify in the same way. Some overcool, and some actually control blower speed. So I'd encourage you to double check what you're getting.

SEER (16+) and EER (13+) ratings have to be met. The EER rating is what is sometimes hard to get. Do you have full model numbers with size info? I can look up the matches for you to tell you for sure if they qualify, because sometimes the models can be deceiving, as can sales reps who are misinformed.

Thank you. The 18 seer A/C on the Amana was to ensure the EER rating. And let's say the thermostats are the right kind/the same. Is there any benefit to $ more for Trane?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-16-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Removed price

Your last question is where the role of opinion comes in. Frankly, both the Amana and Trane if properly maintained should give you years of great service, especially with the warranties. The Trane will have a 12-year compressor warranty and 10-year warranty on all other parts. The Amana I believe is similar but has a lifetime replacement warranty. Pricing cannot be discussed per site rules, so it may be edited out, but with the upgrade price you listed I would say yes it's worth it, in my opinion. I like Trane's use of the aluminum outdoor coil that has proven itself for many, many years to be durable. And I believe some if not all of their indoor cased coils now are all aluminum. By opinion I do think Trane builds superior products to Amana, but that is my opinion (and I've seen both Trane and Amana products up close and personal). I do still think either one would do a great job if installed properly.

Make sure you double check on the "Everrest" brand. Everrest is a Goodman product and does not advertise an 18 SEER unit.

Here's another perspective..how good is the installing contractor. No matter what equipment you choose, the install will establish quality.

Here is a hint, anyone can become an Amana Dealer but Trane (right or wrong..so do keep this silent for the HO's benefit) do have to go through an authorization process.

Don't post prices.
    Not even upgrade prices. Please read site rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the opinions. Sorry about the upgrade pricing - I was careful not to post the full pricing but didn't realize the price difference was taboo also.

The aluminum durability is an aspect I have not heard before and one to consider. Another good opinion / thought.

So I have read many different things re: EverRest, including some heated debates. Does anyone have an answer? I was told that EverRest was just a higher model Amana that their most trained and successful contractors were able to sell. In order to sell it, you had to meet certain qualifications.

I do not have model numbers but here is a link to the EverRest website with an 18 seer A/C.

http://www.everrestbyamana.com/heatpumps-ac.htm

Everest is just a private label. Don't buy into the have to have special training BS.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?