Why is my new furnace so LOUD?

When my new Trane XT80 was installed, because of the size of the new coil, they had to convert to side-return (my old furnace sat on a box and return air flowed up from the bottom)

The return from upstairs now comes in on the left side of the furnace (filter on that side), the basement return (16'x16") now comes in on the right (there's about 17" from the wall to the furnace)

Here in the basement the new furnace is much noisier than the old.

Right now the basement return has the filter on the wall - I'm going to have them add another holder inside the furnace so I can move the filter there (instead of on the wall)

Any other tips on reducing noise?

Thanks!

Cool

need more info,size of unit, size of house, size of ducts, are the ducts sealed and insulated?
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

yea describe noise,does it sound starved for air or is it a rattling or vibrating sound?

Post a picture of the indoor setup--pros may be able to point out any potential restriction/size issues causing noise. Most likely it's the ductwork.

Blower speed might be set too high - call installer back to check temperature rise and static pressure.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

is it a variable speed blower? if it is, it is speeding up b/c there is too much static pressure in the system and its trying to overcome it by speeding up. i do know that our ompany uses plenums off the side of furnaces if we do go into the side but we try to avoid it at all costs becaus of the noise

Quote Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
    When my new Trane XT80 was installed, because of the size of the new coil, they had to convert to side-return (my old furnace sat on a box and return air flowed up from the bottom)

The return from upstairs now comes in on the left side of the furnace (filter on that side), the basement return (16'x16") now comes in on the right (there's about 17" from the wall to the furnace)

Here in the basement the new furnace is much noisier than the old.

Right now the basement return has the filter on the wall - I'm going to have them add another holder inside the furnace so I can move the filter there (instead of on the wall)

Any other tips on reducing noise?

Thanks!
    I bet ya that the installers did not set the dip switches in the airhandler or furnace for the proper air flow. I say this because my installers have missed this step on the varriable speed tranes several times lately. The factory default is highest airflow.

A XT80 does not have a variable speed. It does have a ecm motor, though. Two things to have your contractor check.....1) Is the proper speed selected for your application...2) Is the static pressure within factory spec.

Also Im not sure how much louder the new furnace is over the old furnace, but a direct line of sight to the blower will cause increased air noise. There are ways of dealing with it, like lining the return with insulation.

The return is on the wall next to the furnace, no sound barrior, your listening to the blower directly from the furnace through the ruturn, the furn is fine trust me, to reduce the noise have your installer find a way to make the return traval up and back to the blower compartment somehow to not have it right next to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    A XT80 does not have a variable speed. It does have a ecm motor, though. Two things to have your contractor check.....1) Is the proper speed selected for your application...2) Is the static pressure within factory spec.

Also Im not sure how much louder the new furnace is over the old furnace, but a direct line of sight to the blower will cause increased air noise. There are ways of dealing with it, like lining the return with insulation.
    definately good advice i know first hand that if you just put a return into the side it is pretty noisy definately check dipswitches. check heat rise, i would say that is the most importnant.

It is all in the Name

They didn't name it trane for anyother reason, when they first fired it up, it sounded like a train. Sound is a part of comfort
    Do it right the first time.

Thanks for all the replies!

It was set on the highest speed (factory default) - no wonder I was getting no heat off the heat pump (temp dropped low enough to test the heat)

It's about the same as it was with the old furnace now.