High Velocity with Heat - Questions

I've been thinking about installing a High Velocity system for the past year or so and have been doing some research. The plan was to put in a Unico or Space Pak for both A/C and heat. Last week, I finally had a couple of contractors come by the house. This led to a lot more questions. To my surprise, most of the questions are about heat.

My house:
    1930s Tudor
    Two stories (also an attic and basement)
    1400 sq ft (800 on the 1st, 600 on the 2nd)
    Three upstairs bedrooms (radiator in each)
    Two radiators downstairs (one in living one in the dining)

I'm really not a fan of radiant heat. The radiators take up a lot of space and produce a very source specific, dry warmth. I want to rip them out. My boiler is ancient so I figured this would be a good opportunity to go with something more efficient.

I live in WI so heat is pretty darned important. What is the most efficient way to add heat to a high velocity system? One of the contractors suggested running a water coil from my basement to the attic. Will this provide sufficient heat for the entire house? Or is that simply a matter of what kind of boiler the water coil is attached to?

The other contractor suggested a hot air furnace attached to the system. Apparently Unico makes an electric one specifically for their systems. Again, will this provide sufficient heat?

Are their any other heating options with a high velocity system?

How do I add humidity to the heat? One of my main gripes with the radiators is the lack of moisture.

My last question is about noise. I've read all kinds of anecdotal evidence about the amount of noise these systems produce. I'm very noise sensitive. And yet, I do enjoy a little bit of white noise while I sleep. For instance, I find the noise from traditional duct HVAC very soothing. But, if a high velocity system were as noisy a half-closed duct on an airline jet I'd be very annoyed. Is there some sort of minimum/maximum decibel expectation with these systems? Quite a bit of what I've read suggests noise control all comes down to installation. Should I expect some sort of noise clause in a contract?

I'd sincerely appreciate any suggestions and guidance.

Their only noisey if installed wrong.
    Your lack of humidity is caused mostly by high amounts of fresh air infiltrating your home. Seal it up better. And your humidity will improve.

A humidifier can be added to the HV system.

Unless you have cheap electric rates. Don't just use electric heaters for heat. Have a HP installed with your HV system. It will still need aux heat. But cost less to heat with.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So, assuming I'm removing the radiators, will a water coil plus heat pump provide sufficient warmth?

About the noise, it's all so subjective. Is there a manufacturer claim or guideline that mentions decibels? Is it unreasonable for me to ask for some sort of expectation in the installer's contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsur View Post

So, assuming I'm removing the radiators, will a water coil plus heat pump provide sufficient warmth?

Only if the water coil has the capacity to heat your home by itself.

In Wisconsin, a traditional air to air heat pump may not work as outdoor temperatures drop below 30 or so. Better check the specs as btu output drops as the temperature drops.

Guidance from high velocity systems manufacturers says their systems are quiet as long as they are installed properly.