Noisy compressor - time to replace?

I have a 7 year old trane dual-zone system, heat pump for upper level, outside AC/inside furnace for lower level, virginia climate. Home is 3000 sq feet, 4 BR upstairs, finished basement. Both are SEER10. The system has worked fine with no complaints.

Our service contract tech did his annual spring inspection today and told me that the compressor on the heat pump was getting noisy and that it might be time to replace it soon. But he mentioned that the kind of freon the pump uses wouldn't be available much longer so he suggested I think about replacing the unit at a cost about 3 times the cost of replacing the compressor, which he said would get me a more efficient unit with a higher SEER rating. He said the inside coil would need to be replaced as well.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is he accurate? Is the compressor something that I can run for a while longer and just replace when it fails or should it be replaced before failure?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by imref; 05-14-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: remove pricing

Noisy compressor. Could last five years or five minutes, no way to tell.
    Your system probable uses R-22. It is true it is being phased out. But there are already drop in replacements for it already on the market.
    Yes the inside coil would have to be replaced to go to what is probale R-410A.
    I would recommend installing new air handler with varible speed to get full effeciancy.
    It is against the rules to discuss prices on this site.
    If you can afford to replace the unit now. I would do so, just for peace of mind. Something less to worry about. I would also suggest getting a second opinion from a local HVAC contractor.

Cool

The compressor being noisy doesn't mean it is totally bad. Did he check it electrically? Did he check pressures, superheat,Etc? Also you should not have pricing in your post. It is one of the rules on this forum.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

A lot of things can cause a noisy compressor. Did the tech do a thorough diagnostic? I would recommend getting a second opinion.

It's 7 years old so probably no sort of warranty. If it is working, run it til it dies then worry about it then. Keep it in your mind that it could die anytime or 10 years from now. Don't replace the compressor. That is a waste with a crappy warranty. Replace at least the condenser and the evaporator coil. The furnace will probably last a few more years.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    The compressor being noisy doesn't mean it is totally bad. Did he check it electrically? Did he check pressures, superheat,Etc? Also you should not have pricing in your post. It is one of the rules on this forum.

thanks, I removed the pricing. yes, he did a full check, he's been doing the annual maintenance on everything since we bought the house.