Trane XR14C vs XL15i

We would like to replace both our electric heat pump systems. Do we go with an XR14c or an XL15i. We have been advised that the units are identical. The only difference I can find is that on the XL15i you get two more years warranty on the compressor, the weather guard top and a sound level of 72 instead of 76. The XL15i costs approx $ more per unit - is it worth spending the money?

Units suggested:-

UP (1,925 sq. ft.)
    Trane
    3 ton
    4TWR4036C
    4TEE3F39
    BAYHTR1410

Down (1,436 sq. ft.)
    4 ton
    Trane
    4TWR4024C
    4TEE3F31
    BAYHTR1408

These are variable speed units with an outdoor sensor and the XL802 thermostat.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-11-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Removed price.

No prices... even stating how much more...becuase that varies in different locations.

Yes, the compressor and coils are the same. The major difference in the enclosure and top of the compressor. Both, make the XL15i quieter.

I must say, I have a tree with lots of small leaves and little squiggly seed pods things it drops near my A/C unit. Having the weather guard top is nice in that case.

The Xl15i would also be worthwhile if it's located near a bedroom or below a window, making it more audible. But if you hardly hear your existing units, then I would go with hte cheaper system.

Just curious... but why the bigger unit downstairs when it 's smaller square footage? Are they sizing for heating load instead of cooling load??? Is there a basement that's being heated? OR lots of very large windows and tall ceiling on the 1st floor? Was a heat load calculation done???

Normally in the summer, the upstairs unit needs to be larger comparatively to the downstairs, since heat rises and because of roof and attic heat loads. I could see that downstairs unit short cycling quite a bit. 4 tons is pretty large for 1400 sq feet... again, unless you have a lot of windows and high ceilings.

Oops sorry for giving price. Typo on the downstairs unit it's a 2 ton not 4.

I can hear the present unit but it's not that bad. It's also located on the bedroom wall but on the lower level. We can also hear the unit while using the screened in porch. Is the HL15i that much quieter? It seems they're really close.

Quote Originally Posted by Allnewtome View Post
    Oops sorry for giving price. Typo on the downstairs unit it's a 2 ton not 4.

I can hear the present unit but it's not that bad. It's also located on the bedroom wall but on the lower level. We can also hear the unit while using the screened in porch. Is the HL15i that much quieter? It seems they're really close.
    4 dB is still a pretty big difference. The XR14 is average, the XL15i would be considered quiet. There are even quieter units out there form other mfg's.

Sounds like you have a premium home, so it might be just as well to install the premium unit. Maybe point out the similarities in efficiency and see if the installer will budge on price just a little.

Then again, with the savings... you could almost afford a 2 stage XL16i upstairs... and a XR14 downstairs. Not a bad idea since the upstairs, will have the largest load variation during the day... and will be used early and late in the season on sunny days where the downstairs won't be running at all. You cna also take advantage of the added dehumidification capabilities with the communicating XL16i. So it can further dehumidify in low load conditions... like when your sleeping upstairs at night.

That's what I would probably consider. But I'll probably never own a 2 story house that needs 2 systems.

Thanks for the feedback. What other systems should I consider? I have no idea about these things. Our present system is a Carrier and although we bought the house less than a year ago it's 21 years old - not bad. We're looking at Trane because most of our neighbors recommends this and apparently they're easy to get parts and good service in our area. A lot of our neighbors have expressed problems getting Lennox parts. We did get an estimate for Rheem but this was more expensive than Trane. We also got an estimate for Aaman but this too was more expensive and I've been told they have problems with the exchange part of their system right now. Not sure about the XL16i it sounds good but wouldn't it be more expensive than the XL15i? And is it worth spending the extra? Is the XL15i a lot quieter than the XR14C or just a little quieter? If it's a lot quieter then it would be worth considering.

Those aren't 76 dBa units. 72 dBA for the 2 ton and 73 dBA for the 3 ton. Should be very quiet. Very similar units--you pretty much listed the main differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Allnewtome View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. What other systems should I consider? I have no idea about these things. Our present system is a Carrier and although we bought the house less than a year ago it's 21 years old - not bad. We're looking at Trane because most of our neighbors recommends this and apparently they're easy to get parts and good service in our area. A lot of our neighbors have expressed problems getting Lennox parts. We did get an estimate for Rheem but this was more expensive than Trane. We also got an estimate for Aaman but this too was more expensive and I've been told they have problems with the exchange part of their system right now. Not sure about the XL16i it sounds good but wouldn't it be more expensive than the XL15i? And is it worth spending the extra? Is the XL15i a lot quieter than the XR14C or just a little quieter? If it's a lot quieter then it would be worth considering.

The differences in the quotes could also be the quality of the installation. Maybe one of your neighbors will let you look at their installation... and even take pictures. Then compare that to photos in the "wall of fame" or the "wall of shame" and see how they compare. Rheem makes very good equipment. Quality of service is improtant.

Carrier has arguably the best controls with their Infinity controller. Paried with a Infinity or Performance series heat pump, and you'll have a very comfortable system.

At some point you have to decide how much you're willing to spend to increase your comfort. If you're someone that likes ot run the A/C most of the time ot stay comfortable, you might want to consider a 2 stage system. If you're someone that runs the A/C as little as possible, and keeps the windows open most of the spring and Fall... then you might want to go with a less expensive system.

All of the equipment you are considering is good quality efficient equipment. It's jsut a matter of how much more you want ot spend for a little more comfort.... do you buy new cars fully loaded, or are cloth seats in a used car good enough???

Call up contractors, and ask them over the phone if they do load calcs.

7 tons for a 3,361 sq ft 2 story, WOW!

Hope your in Texas, Florida, or somewhere that it regularly gets above 95F.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

That surprised me too. But the OP made a mistake, should be 036 upstairs and 024 downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Thanks, I made a typo meant to say 2 ton down. Only one guy did calcs., measured everything including the windows and came up with the same as the other guys. Only one out of the four estimates we got suggested increasing to a 3.5 ton upstairs but he has failed to submit an estimate. All the others suggested a 2 and 3 ton, the same as we already have. My concern is how much unit should we buy. I don't mean size but cost. We want a quality unit that qualifies for the tax credit, will be energy efficient and is quiet and that is a good balance between cost to purchase, quality and savings to operate. I was ready to fork out the extra for the XL15i until I realized that the difference between the units may not warrant the extra expense. finding it hard to figure out if these extras are worth the money!

Any suggestions?

See if the 15i qualifies for teh tax credit. And if with the tax credit it comes close enough to the price of the 14i.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Allnewtome, since this seems to be my job on the forums....

The 4TWR4036C with 4TEE3F39 yields 12.5 EER, 15 SEER, 8.5 HSPF -- qualifies for tax credit.
    The 4TWR4024C with 4TEE3F31 also yields 12.5 EER, 15 SEER, 8.5 HSPF -- qualifies for tax credit ($1500 is the cap for the household, so doesn't really matter).

There is a little efficiency gain with the 4TWX5. Probably not worth the upfront cost in the long run to get the XL15i's, but that would be up to you.