Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACTUAL numbers.....

those of u that have new put new units over a couples years, what kind of ACTUAL reduction in kilowatt usuage have u seen compared 2 b4 u had the units put in?

please give in kilowatt usage instead of dollar amount on your electric bill, bcuz rate vary from year to year thks

one other question has yur themostat setting changed

For me, about a 40% reduction in summer kw-hrs going from a 21 year-old 7 SEER to a 14 SEER installed in June '07.

No change to the t-stat settings.

Quote Originally Posted by gil_bo View Post
    those of u that have new put new units over a couples years, what kind of ACTUAL reduction in kilowatt usuage have u seen compared 2 b4 u had the units put in?

please give in kilowatt usage instead of dollar amount on your electric bill, bcuz rate vary from year to year thks

one other question has yur themostat setting changed
    If you email me (address in profile) I can send you a spreadsheet with multiple years of history and a large improvement in KWH. However nobody who primarily wants to save energy, will refrain from making other improvements solely to get a clean number. You will not have a clean "before and after" set of data if you keep changing the other variables.

My experience is going to a high-SEER AC did improve energy consumption, but there are other house improvements which also do so. Buying a new AC is one of the more expensive things you can do, sealing air leaks in ducts and the building envelope will be labor intensive but cheap in materials.

If you want to oversimplify, then yes my savings were approximately what Gary_G experienced.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

ptsu-
    I.m looking forward to getting my eletric bills this summer just to see the change in consumption. Entergy puts last years usage for the month on each bill. I wonder if Entergy could do an energy use history search for a couple of select years and how much it would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebil Illpay View Post
    ptsu-
    I.m looking forward to getting my eletric bills this summer just to see the change in consumption. Entergy puts last years usage for the month on each bill. I wonder if Entergy could do an energy use history search for a couple of select years and how much it would cost.
    Do they have an online site? My electric provider does, and you can go online and see the last 13 months worth of bills. They also have graphs that just show the usage in kwh. You might check that out.

As an aside - I told somebody here that the prices I received for a two stage set-up jumped more for the furnace than the other parts. Looking back over the bids I'm not so sure. Hard to tell -too much mystery built into the process. Of course, as some pro posted here, they've been burned often. I've been thinking that all boils down to what you write into the contract and how willing you are to spend the money to fight it. The company I sub from has had at least one customers house up for auction since I've been with them. I don't know the particulars.

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Do they have an online site? My electric provider does, and you can go online and see the last 13 months worth of bills. They also have graphs that just show the usage in kwh. You might check that out.
    As I said, not to be snarky, is that they include last years energy usage for the same month on the bill. I was thinking about maybe three or four particular years. 1991 when I moved in, and then 1997 or 98 when I had the first problem requiring a pro, then 2003, the year before the old system was yanked out and the new junk put in.

As I said, not to be snarky, is that they include last years energy usage for the same month on the bill. I was thinking about maybe three or four particular years. 1991 when I moved in, and then 1997 or 98 when I had the first problem requiring a pro, then 2003, the year before the old system was yanked out and the new junk put in.
    Just because my company only shows the last 13 months, doesn't mean yours won't show all of your usage history. It was just a suggestion, and you won't know until you look.

Just because my company only shows the last 13 months, doesn't mean yours won't show all of your usage history. It was just a suggestion, and you won't know until you look.

Well, I went and looked. It only goes back one year. $363 last July.

Well, I went and looked. It only goes back one year. $363 last July.
    Shucks. I'm not sure why they do that. They've obviously got the data in their database at one point in time. Maybe they actually delete the records older than 12 months (I guess because it takes up more space than they're willing to spare?). With that said, maybe they still keep the paper copies somewhere. Good luck.

Sorry for the thread jack, gil_bo.

I used to work for one of the electric utilities and they relied heavily on a system that had monthly data back for one year. That was enough to answer all their routine business questions, the companies are not really interested in your (and my) research wants. But it is worth a phone call and some minutes on hold to find out if your utility can look up older data.

Are you anal enough to have saved each electric bill for quite some time? I am. Maybe at least you have checkbook registers that identify the dollar amount for a few years back? The KWH usage can be re-constructed exactly if you know how the bill is calculated. Usually there is 1) a customer charge, 2) a low-usage cheap block, 3) a normal-usage higher-priced block. Occasionally another complication such as a block at a certain rate which only applies to summer or winter. All in all a handful of elements which are fairly easy to understand. The rates change from time to time, but that is a matter of legal record and that info can be obtained from the regulators.

In states with some kind of deregulation, the blocks usually disappear and all the KWH are priced the same. That is the kind of simplicity customers prefer when they have a choice, and the blocky rate designs are the work of social engineering wonks with the PUC.

Best wishes -- Pstu

Sorry for the thread jack, gil_bo.
    Ditto. I just realized how rude that is. However, I'll whatchacallit 'favorite' this thread and try to remember to post a response in June July and August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast