The Brand Green Colonial

Ever hear of it?

I had to replace one and I thought it was just another lowboy...not!

I had to tear this thing completely apart because it was so heavy. It had 4 cast iron burners and 4 cast iron cells about 4 feet tall, each weighing about 80 pounds.
    I think this is the first forced air unit I have seen with a cast iron heat exchanger. I believe the unit was from the late 60s early 70s. Groess weight was over 400 lbs.

Efficiency guess anyone?

The condenser was a Rheem from 1975. It was placed on a cement slab 6 in thick when the slab wasn't completely dry. As a result, it took me 3 hours to bust it loose using a 5 foot wrecker bar.

You never know what your getting into until you get into it sometimes.

Done and paid though and its on to the next one.

Sure glad that this job is over!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

worked on many of them long ago. green colonial & holland were major players in those days.

Ain't they fun???? They were an old company that went out of business a long time ago, but that heat exchanger had a lifetime warranty

I remember replacing the asbestos gaskets between the cell in some of them, cough cough hack hack

wheather you were moving them in or out they werent for the weaklings.
    more of them came out in pieces than complete.

Green Colonial came out of Des Moines in the old days. Aunt Margaret, the old bat*, had one in her house in Oelwein. It was a tank, took up the whole dungeon. Outdoor units looked a bit like a Willie with the fan at an angle in the front.

* Don Knotts Our Own Hardware radio commercial of the 70s. He was always doing projects for his Aunt Margaret, the old bat. My Aunt Margaret got such a kick out of him.