Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    This has been discussed alot. If you don't have any experience with brazing steel to copper, then I suggest this. http://www.uri.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....8AAAEgjiYHFKS0

It's the easiest thing to use. There are other methods, but if you are not use inexperienced with dissimilar metals, it's the quickest and painless.
    That stuff right there is the bomb.

I always have some on the truck. Comes in really hands when doing compressor change-outs on refrigeration equipment with king valves. And for Maneurop compressors.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranchise View Post
    I had a little mishap with the suction stub-out on a 1/3hp condensing pkg. My boss says there is no hope for repair and that I should scrap it out, but since I broke it I want to try to fix it. The problem I'm having is with brazing the dissimilar metals. From what I have read on the Sil-Fos site anywhere from a 40% to 56% with flux is reccomended. Does anyone here have experience with brazing steel to copper and what product is best to use. Thanks in advance.
    CLEAN both metals.

In order to do a few joints in the past, I have sat for almost an hour with a file and cleaned all of the old burnt metal off of a distributor so that I could braze it back together.

Remove all traces of filler metal and discolored steel. You should be good to go after that.

Ok, whoever gets to use the orange 56% on a daily basis is cheating. Just brazed it together and wow is that stuff easy to use. The flux took a little getting used to as this is my first experience with it. Ran the compressor up to 100psi with the nitrogen and no bubbles. I see why the harris site says it is the closest match for sterling silver because the brazed metal looks great.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Ok, whoever gets to use the orange 56% on a daily basis is cheating. Just brazed it together and wow is that stuff easy to use. The flux took a little getting used to as this is my first experience with it. Ran the compressor up to 100psi with the nitrogen and no bubbles. I see why the harris site says it is the closest match for sterling silver because the brazed metal looks great.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    whaddaya mean no Bubbles? I'm right here!
    And whats with this mamsy pansy 100 psi? Pump it on up to 325psi! A working mans pressure!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

I use 56% and white paste flux.

I went to 100psi cause that's what the boss said to do. No really since this is a low temp 134a condensing pkg it wont see pressures anywhere close 325psi.

oh got ya.... sorry.. use to split system heat pumps here!

Heat the copper and let the steel heat up from the radiant heat, heating the steel will not provide even heat over the joint and make it hard to flow.
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

I just tin the copper pipe with some #15, then I flux up the steel stub, lightly heat things up to get the #15 liquified, shove it in, and build up around the perimeter with some more #15, never had a leak with this method.

I went to 100psi cause that's what the boss said to do. No really since this is a low temp 134a condensing pkg it wont see pressures anywhere close 325psi.
    PKG through me too. A condensing unit isn't a package unless you have the evap and blower included in the unit. JMHO.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

not if the rod is metal then no flux

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    PKG through me too. A condensing unit isn't a package unless you have the evap and blower included in the unit. JMHO.
    LMAO............ to true.... to true!

I just fixed a similar problem with the 56%. I was sent to an installation job that someone else started and quit. I had a little bit of go at it, but it worked. I also found a cutting torch set inside, I wonder, no it couldn’t be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast