Thread: Opinions Please

Opinions Please

Gentlemen,
    I have decided to replace a 26 y.o.100K input Whirlpool gas furnace with ac in central N.J. This set up has served me well in the 7 yrs I have been in this house. My background is in Commercial/Industrial and I do not have the skills to do the tin work, so I enlisted a former co worker and mentor who is now in his own business to do the job. We agreed on a Ruud UGPR07EAMKR furnace with a UAPM030JAZ condenser, I don`t have the coil model #. My question is: I see the furnace has an ECM motor, are all of these VS? The spec sheet shows it has 4 speed taps so I am thinking no, with that in mind are there any real advantages to this furnace over an induction blower 2 stage 80%? If so please point them out to me. Lastly does anyone have a history with these they are willing to share?
    Thank You

Well, as someone that knows jack I'd say Google 'ECM motor' and read all about it. I did. Not that I totally understand everyting after one read through but basically the motor is electronically controlled to reach various speeds as well as allowing soft start and stops. I've read that a surge protector is an advisable addition to this motor.

Not all ECMs are variable speed but this one is. Speeds are set via DIP switches. Good furnace!

If the dealer were to use the UGPR-07EB... version and the proper RCFL coil and the UAMB-030, it would rate at 16.00 SEER and an impressive 13.80 EER for the tax credit. The model quoted has a smaller motor and doesn't quite get to 16.

Quote Originally Posted by h2045 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I have decided to replace a 26 y.o.100K input Whirlpool gas furnace with ac in central N.J. This set up has served me well in the 7 yrs I have been in this house. My background is in Commercial/Industrial and I do not have the skills to do the tin work, so I enlisted a former co worker and mentor who is now in his own business to do the job. We agreed on a Ruud UGPR07EAMKR furnace with a UAPM030JAZ condenser, I don`t have the coil model #. My question is: I see the furnace has an ECM motor, are all of these VS? The spec sheet shows it has 4 speed taps so I am thinking no, with that in mind are there any real advantages to this furnace over an induction blower 2 stage 80%? If so please point them out to me. Lastly does anyone have a history with these they are willing to share?
    Thank You
    This furnace is rated at 60,000btu out on high, that's probably a bit less than your present furnace puts out.

It does have an ECM motor. Typically (and I can't speak for this particular furnace) you have a choice of several cooling blower speeds and several heating blower speeds. Again, typically, ECM-equipped furnaces slowly ramp the speed up and down rather than suddenly switching the motor on and off.

ECM motors are suppose to be quieter also, and more energy efficient. Also they are able to hold a constant airflow rate even with a dirty filter, etc.

The only real downside is that it is a more expensive repair when it fails. But the handwriting is on the wall, ECM motors will eventually become standard I think.

I assume you have looked at the 90+ furnaces as well?

Yes I looked at the lesser output and the 90 pluses, the current 100K is way oversized and venting for me would be a hassle, So I decided to go with the smaller 2 stage, 75K, at 80%, Figuring I`ll save some on the install, 2 stages and the input reduction. I am just unfamiliar with the ECM motors and their operation and reliability issues if there are any. I appreciate your`s and Baldloonie`s feedback.- Thanks

The 80% may install cheaper.
    but won't save yoou money on operation like a 90% would.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As I said, venting is the issue here. I am not looking to do this on the cheap, I wanted a 90+. After weighing the options I decided to go with what I am going with.