Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new ac split system

I need to replace a 4 ton 13seer split system in my home. Utility company is porposing a trane xr system, but will need to use an armstrong air handler to get the unit into my attic. Is there any problem with mismatched manufacturer components in this type of installing?

Quote Originally Posted by peter baz View Post
    I need to replace a 4 ton 13seer split system in my home. Utility company is porposing a trane xr system, but will need to use an armstrong air handler to get the unit into my attic. Is there any problem with mismatched manufacturer components in this type of installing?
    yes there is, and why would you use the utility co. to install an a/c system? get a couple more quotes from pro's who do this for a living and are interested in LOWERING your electric bill.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Don't do it, you will be sorry.

STUD

Yes. You won't have a rated 13 SEER system.
    Could end up with a 10 SEER system.

Get other estimates.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Find out what the SEER rating is of both peices of equipment. If they both rate at near 13 SEER then there is your answer. However, I do agree that you should get more quotes. Find a HVAC contractor and get a matched system. Mismatching systems can be a headache....for you and the contractor

Evap coils don't have SEER ratings.
    Contractor locator map

No they don't. I'm assuming hes saying that the entire air handler is going to be replaced. Not just the coil. If thats the case, yes, air handlers do have a SEER rating...

No they don't.

An air handler has NO SEER rating.

Show me an ad, or brochure that says, an air handler is a xx SEER.
    Condensers have SEER ratings, not air handlers or evap coils.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No they don't.

An air handler has NO SEER rating.

Show me an ad, or brochure that says, an air handler is a xx SEER.
    Condensers have SEER ratings, not air handlers or evap coils.
    And here's why, a SEER rating is calculated by SEER = watts divided by hrs run per season,
    no watts are used on an evaporator coil, well not any I know of anyway.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    yes there is, and why would you use the utility co. to install an a/c system? get a couple more quotes from pro's who do this for a living and are interested in LOWERING your electric bill.
    I'm curious as to why this would be a problem. Assuming it's a 4-ton rated coil, and especially if it has a TXV, why wouldn't it work?

Granted the system as a whole wouldn't have a designated seer rating, but operationally speaking, I don't see why you can't mix and match evaporators and coils.

Uh, if the combination has an AHRI number wouldn't that mean that it is a matched system?

The key is: matched coil.

Armstrong has a modular blower that lines up fine with a Trane cased coil. So if a 1 piece air handler won't fit up, as long as the dealer uses the correct Trane TXC coil and the proper CFM Armstrong EFC/EFV, the job will be fine. For the times Rheem didn't have a 20 kw 3 ton air handler, we did the same thing. We preferred Rheem's heat pump so we used the matching cased coil and the Armstrong blower.

If the HO were after higher than 13 SEER, this might be a problem since the rating would be dependent on which blower too. But the mention is XR series Trane so 13/14 SEER.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The key is: matched coil.
    The matched coil and and A/C condenser should work OK with a different manufacturers furnace. If it's a Trane heat pump and the Armstrong air handler comes with a built in coil then that mismatch could be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast