How to adjust Dampers

I have decided its time to adjust the dampers in my ductwork. Currently they are all open and I think some of the small rooms are taking air from the open living room and dining room.

I was thinking of getting some basic thermometers and adjusting until each room matched the thermostat. I was wondering if I would leave a bedroom door (there is a return in the room) open or closed during the test. I have a 1250SFT ranch, is it better to have the dampers adjusted for AC or Heat? I don’t want to mess with changing them every season. I was thinking of setting them for AC because the heat seems like it may cope better with the airflow a little off.

If anyone has a better method or knows where to get some cheap accurate thermometers please let me know. Thanks.

Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by teddyc27 View Post
    I was wondering if I would leave a bedroom door (there is a return in the room) open or closed during the test. I have a 1250SFT ranch, is it better to have the dampers adjusted for AC or Heat? I don’t want to mess with changing them every season.
    If the temps differ by only 1-2 degrees you may be able to do this. Any more an you'll likely need ductwork changes. As you have a ranch, you shouldn't need to chnage the dampers every summer and winter (this mostly applies to multi-storey houses).

Unless your install was done with a room-by-room heat loss/gain and ducted accordingly, you will be lucky to keep each room to within 3-4 degrees of each other. best to pick your "priority" room (master bed room ,assuming this is an upstairs system) and try adjusting the dampers to match the stat. most people will adjust the stat to fit thier comfort and forget the extra work. just be sure not to turn to many down(not off), you may hurt your equipment. if there is a big difference in temps, you should call your pro. some times these situations can be corrected with a very small amount of duct changes.
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!