real fyre log set

customer has a 4-5 year old( model and ser # in truck if you want it) propane log set that the pilot pulsates/sputters.

when the safety is satisfied the main flames burn normal- no sputtering, pulsating or dancing around.

2nd stage regulator @ 11.06" with main burner running,pilot orifice is clear, pilot tube clear.

unable to put manometer on the regulator at the unit, it is in a stupid location from mfr, to measure pressure.

thought, suggestions

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    when the safety is satisfied
    What do you mean by this?

Does the pilot burn normally after it has been lit and the magnet is holding and the main burner is off? What's the gas supply pressure when the main burner is off and the pilot is lit?

I'd probably replace the pilot orifice with a new one since this is a likely source of a problem and you can't always see something that might be plugging it up. At the same time, I'd purge gas freely through the pilot tubing hoping to dislodge any junk that might be impairing gas flow.

I'd carefully clean and inspect the pilot burner as well.

If the problem persisted after that, I'd probably replace the pilot burner assembly hoping that new parts might correct a pilot problem that I otherwise couldn't identify.

If that didn't solve the problem, I'd be inclined to replace the gas log control valve.

But--- what the heck! I'm retired now and don't have a gas log set that needs repair!

Going bicycling this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
    What do you mean by this?

I meant that the time or two that I got the pilot to stay, that the main burner was able to be activated and burned normally.

pilot was still sputtering.
    Last edited by pacnw; 05-14-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Are these vented or vent-free gas logs?

set in what was a wood burning fireplace, vented?

I see that your company has recently started to service gas fireplaces. It may be a good idea for them to provide proper training on these. A great way to get exposed to the workings of gas fireplaces are through the mfg. training classes, take the NFI course or many years of on the job training.

Please don't take this as harsh, but if you don't know the difference between a vented and a vent-free gas log, maybe you should pass on doing service on them. If improperly serviced, really bad things can happen.

Contact me off line and I can explain more.

thanks for the warning.

If the log set is vented. I would make sure the pilot and main burner orfices are L.P. rated. It sounds silly but. You may have a propane burner with a natural pilot. A give away is the pilot would be too big or it could have been adjusted down because it was too big and it will never be right. I would replace the pilot assembly making sure I had a propane pilot. Its very inexpensive and you will be sure to eliminate the pilot and the thermocouple as posibilities
    . Good luck.

it has been running this way for 4 years or so.
    I am at replacing the pilot assembly, as everything else seems normal.
    there is no adjustment on this set up that I can find, it's a G20 model.
    also, it is not your normal thermocouple. it has a piece of metal that is welded to the ring where the pilot flame comes out. it would appear it senses the heat generated on the ring by the pilot flame, same principle though.

If it has an oxegen sensor on it all bets are off. It's a vent free. I don't know alot about them, other than I wouldn't have one.

On vent free, there are no adjustments. You must replace the whole assembly if thats the rout you are going. By the posts Im not convinced that the assembly needs replaced. A bad pilot will not pulsate, thats a gas pressure problem. Still could be dirt o I have seen a metal shaving from one of tubes mess things up.